Friday, March 6, 2009

We all conform ourselves to something, but what is it?

Hello and welcome to the continuing saga of a mostly over the hill fellow whose views must at times seem like artifacts busted out of one of those time capsules buried outside the elementary school. At times I might find myself disagreeing with myself about things and that's what I'm writing about today on this Friday, March 6, 2009. No, I haven't found myself arguing with myself lately but that's not to say my thoughts and ideas have not changed over time. Maturity itself would dictate growth and development as we take in information, assimilate it, and match it against a set of rules that shape our thoughts. Have you ever thought about things you thought you knew something about when you were younger and later you found out just how little you actually did know? Hey, that could cover a wide range of subjects from life to marriage to child rearing to developing your walk with the God who made you. If you get my drift you can begin to see a sense in which we all should be adding wisdom to our understanding over time. This progression in how we view life and the world around us, especially in the spiritual realm, is the essence of making our sojourn here count for time and eternity.

I was raised up in a very racially prejudicial environment. While I never detected any mean spirited motivations behind this way of life in terms of seeing people of color, this, nonetheless, did not make it right. I was a product of my environment. I practiced what that environment poured into me. The Apostle Paul said that when he was a child he spoke and acted like a child. That's how I see this one example of change in my own life. With God's help I became acquainted with His truth which says that all people of every color, creed, or nationality are equal before Him. All people are sinners. All people are loved by God. All people need a Savior. While this change was not instantaneous it did come about as I, like the Apostle Paul began to put away childish things. This is but one example of how we should develop and change our views so that they mirror the truth God has allowed us to know.

I know people who grew up the same way I grew up. Some I know have not changed their views on this subject as well as many others. Many of these lead what they believe to be wholesome, God fearing lives but they have never made any progress in moving past the thoughts and ideas that God would have them to consider and change. They may lead the children in the Sunday school class to sing how Jesus loves the little children, all the children of the world, red, brown, yellow, black and white, they are precious in His sight, Jesus loves the little children of the world, but they would not for a second entertain a change in their segregationist viewpoints. Do they need to change their views? I believe that God would have them to based on how He has worked in my life. However, I would never poke around in their eye trying to get that tiny speck out while knowing there's a huge log sticking out of my own. The problem we all have is when we resist change because of our stubbornness. I've used racism as an example but it is only one of any number of changes we should be making as we seek to grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. That's right! He's actually still very much working on me and thank God for that! Not allowing Him to work as the Potter with us being the clay will lead to a life that misses the great things He would have done through us. Let's not let that happen as we yield ourselves to Him. That's some heavy duty stuff for you to munch on as we prepare to enjoy our Saturday and Lord's day Sunday. May God bless you all! Amen. ....More later.

No comments: