Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Remembering to give thanks to God who has never left us or forsaken us!

It’s Wednesday, March 18, 2009 and I am reporting on the reporting that’s going on six months after Hurricane Ike devastated our region of the country. Seems hard to believe that just six months ago last Thursday we were struck with an unrelenting assault from this now infamous storm. As I wrote earlier we recently spent a weekend on a getaway trip and I have never had so many folks come up to me and tell me that if anyone deserved a break we most certainly did. While this might be understandable from those who know all the details, it’s been somewhat amusing to see how many folks from the sidelines who have expressed the same sentiments. Well, how do you like that? We’ve finally become known for something! I suppose the hurricane would have been enough but with my wife’s brother going down while working on our home during the recovery, as well as a handful of other family challenges, well, lets just say these past six months will be a memory that will be a gift that keeps on giving for a while.

The local news stations have all done specials on the storm and its impact to families, businesses, and the continued clean up that has not yet been completed. I see the reports and know first hand what it means to feel helpless and bewildered by all the damage and displacement. HOWEVER, I, at the same time, see those who have had little to no help in their recovery efforts who today remain practically homeless and in a state of confusion and pain, and it makes me aware of just how BLESSED we have been! I actually feel somewhat guilty for the times when I was distressed over our situation because on our worst day we were so much better off than some who had no insurance, no family and local Church support, and no prospects. In one of my final emails to our insurance adjuster I asked him to forgive me for the times when I may have crossed the line in expressing my frustrations over the situation and lack of progress. He sent back a note and said it was his privilege to do what he could to help. In the end, we see in these recent reports how it could have been as folk’s lives have essentially been altered forever by this storm.

My wife and I used to sing a song that had as its theme that we be reminded of how things could have been without God and His provision. The song asks that the curtain be pulled back so that we can see how it could have been, that we might be shown how God has intervened to bring us to where we are and not where we could have ended up. To a certain extent this is how I feel about the sixth month anniversary of Hurricane Ike. There were times when I wondered how we would survive the strain, the stress, and the situation. Yet, in retrospect, I can now see how God was working to take care of things in ways that we could not see but now feel humbled to be able to express thankfulness to Him and give Him the glory for His loving care. We saw a lady in the store the other day who said that while it must have been rough, at least we end up with a rebuilt home and new furnishings. To be honest, I was perfectly happy with the old home and the old furnishings but I do thank God for how we have been taken care of, in Jesus Name, Amen. …..More later.

No comments: