Friday, March 27, 2009

Enjoying 'my' hobbies.

While we all share air on the same planet each of us are certainly very different. Many have commented over the years that I am more different than most. I don’t know if this is a compliment or complaint but it’s what I am thinking about this morning, Friday, March 27, 2009. I suppose one of the main areas where folks think I am lacking is the one that deals with having a hobby or hobbies. I’m almost certain I have a number of hobbies but they are not what folks would expect, therefore, they think me to be odd. I don’t play golf. I like golf. I’ve often thought about taking it up. But I don’t play. Many of my friends play but I don’t. I don’t hunt. I don’t fish. I used to and I enjoyed it when I did but I don’t do them anymore. I don’t participate in athletic competitions of any kind. This causes folks to wonder out loud how I could be nearing retirement and have no outside interests to occupy my time.

I’ll start by saying that all of the things mentioned above are quite appealing to me but not to the extent that I am interested enough to pursue any of them. At the same time, in my defense, I would submit that I fill up a 24-hour day about as well as anyone I know. I am busy. I am daily plugged in, involved, and productive; therefore, I typically feel a sense of accomplishment and fulfillment. I am involved in all kinds of activities that are not on the list above. However, the things I’m involved in are somewhat out of sync with those identified with someone my age nearing retirement. The question might be who gets to determine what is and is not on the list. While I know I could do better in almost every area of my life, to be honest, I, for the most part, am very pleased with the work I do, the pursuits I follow, and the activities that occupy my time and attention.

I love spending time with my family. I love going places with my wife. I greatly enjoy spending time with my mom and dad. I love spending time talking to God and studying His word. I love serving with other brothers and sisters in our local fellowship of believers. I love the dynamic tension in the work I do where schedules, deadlines, and quality count. I love reading, especially history. I love watching documentaries that interest me. I love a good meal. I love working in the inner city ministry each week. I love teaching the two different Bible studies I teach. I especially love enjoying time with my grandchildren. I love keeping up with current events, the political scene, and watching real police shows like COPS, and the First 48 Hours. I love well-acted television programs like many produced by the BBC. I love listening to different types of music from bagpipes to big band. I especially enjoy sacred music of all kinds along with Southern Gospel. I enjoy NASCAR. I like watching food shows on PBS since I no longer watch the Food Channel after they cancelled Emeril last year. AND, I love doing my daily blog. So there you have it, I may not fill in the blanks like others do, but at this time I’m not lamenting over how mine look to me. In fact, I thank God each day for the life He has given to me in allowing me to do the things I’m doing! I pray that you will also find yourself actively engaged in those things He provides to you! Amen. Do have a wonderful Saturday and Sunday and Lord willing I'll be back on Monday with another set of observations on something! ….More later.

No comments: