Monday, March 9, 2009

Great Get Away!

Welcome to a brand new work week. We are just back from a weekend excursion and that's what I have on my mind to help jump start my day on this Monday, March 9, 2009. My wife called me last Thursday and told me she had the weekend off and that we should go somewhere. She's had a really heavy load these past several months and so have I, and I could tell that it would not be a really great idea to give a list of reasons why we might want to spend a little more time planning a weekend trip. Therefore, being the dutiful companion that I am, I set about trying to find something for us to do. If we are in a huge recession and we are, how can it be possible that places near and far are booked up? In the end I put together a little surprise package over in San Antonio for our escape. We had not been there for a dozen years or more and we always enjoy visiting.

We left Saturday morning and enjoyed a wonderful breakfast at a family owned restaurant in a small town located just off the interstate. While its pretty difficult to mess up breakfast we've found that the fast food places do a pretty good job. Well, this was the old fashioned sit down and enjoy home cooking type of place. It reminded us of the old days when cafes and truck stops catered this kind of meal. We were not in a hurry, therefore, we just sat back and enjoyed our meal while watching folks move in and out of this meeting place where friends slapped each other's backs and old folks sat drinking their coffee as they solved all the problems of our day. We arrived in San Antonio and made our way over to the Alamo just in time to catch a really neat battle portrayal by some very impressive reenactors. I had not known about this event and since I am a history buff it was a real treat! Later that evening we attended the San Antonio Symphony in their presentation of a walk down memory lane of the big band era. They had a special vocal group, Five By Design, to do the songs and the two hour program was dynamite. No, we didn't experience firsthand the WWII canteen clubs and other remembrances represented in this program but who wouldn't enjoy the sounds of Benny Goodman, Artie Shaw, Tommy Dorsey, or Glen Miller along with some of the great tunes that came out of those days? The concert hall was pretty full and we greatly enjoyed seeing many of those older than ourselves as they were transported back to their younger days. We could tell there were many golden memories being recalled in that place. It was a blast.

I let my bride of forty four plus years sleep in Sunday morning while I sipped my coffee and enjoyed just kicking back and relaxing for a change. On our way back we stopped by our youngest son's place and took them all out for an early supper to celebrate his recent birthday. We had a great time reconnecting with Rodney, Mitzi, Kyleigh, Lexie and our Brady (Bray-Bray). I know sooner or later we need to quit calling him Bray-Bray but it still sounds right at this time. We then drove another hour and arrived home. Our middle son and his bunch came over to see us and we had a great time with them also! Jimmy, Mindi, Jimmy Jr. Alesha, Amanda, and our Alexander Benjamin stayed about forty five minutes and we had a ball. Now I ask you one more time, is this a great country or what????? God is good and we thank Him for allowing us to enjoy this most wonderful weekend! Now I need to get that Bugle Boy Boogie tune out of my head! May God bless each of you with a great week. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: