Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Tuesday update and more....

Hello to one and all on this Tuesday December 9, 2008. I am very humbled to report that my brother-in-law, Bro. Milton, is showing some signs of improvement as he continues to struggle with this significant heart/related event. Yesterday more folks came, more preachers showed up, and more prayers were offered here as well as throughout our land. We thank one and all for praying and as one doctor said last evening, "He may come out of this and it will be like waking up and getting back to his life and we may never really know exactly what happened.", but we do know Who holds us all in His hands and He is worthy of our praise each and every moment of every day. Now on to my discombobulated blog.

Just eight more years!

You may have seen or heard about a recent study that indicated people who are 70 years old actually feel on average 13 years younger. This has presented me with a wonderful prize that awaits me when I reach this milestone. Because to tell you the truth I would not be able to be in that average at the moment since I feel like I am 70 already. And they say you are only as old as you feel, right? But it is good news that folks are feeling much better as they age and that particular study went on to say that most were very satisfied with how they felt. Man oh man; I do look forward to being 70!

This would mean the average 70-year-old feels like they are only 57. I’ve been trying to remember exactly how I felt at 57. I know I was quite a bit heavier and spent quite a bit more time at the dinner table but from a quality of life perspective, I can’t zero in on how that being 57 produced any type of magical feeling. Maybe those dudes who are 70 are mostly remembering how cool the 1957 Chevy looked and then by transference it makes them feel younger. I most likely drooled at least once or twice over a 1957 Chevy but I also drooled over a lot of other cars like the 1955 Ford Crown Victoria that I drove when I dated my wife to be. Those who are 70 in 2008 were born in 1938. They would have been too young for World War II, and would have also missed the Korean Conflict. Some of them may have participated in Vietnam but they would have been a little old for the draft.

Thirteen years on average. That’s a powerful number when you think about it. I did have a fellow at Church tell me one day that he had heard on talk radio that 55 is the new middle age. Everyone knows you can take it to the bank if you heard it on talk radio, right? This means that if the age of 40 was the previous middle age and now it’s 55, then I should just be coming into my prime or something like that. Someone needs to tell me why I don’t perceive this to be the case. Since the study said the result reflected the average then there had to be those who were something other than average. Now I think I may be close to finding my category. That’s me. I’m always the plus or minus guy but that doesn’t keep me from hoping that in just eight more years I’ll be ready to kick up my heels! It’s always good to have something to look forward to. May God bless and keep you and yours. Amen. ….More later.

No comments: