Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Dealing with weightier matters!

Welcome to Tuesday, December 2nd, 2008 and I do hope you are still basking in Thanksgiving's wonderful time of family, food, and fellowship along with a time to pronounce thankfulness to Almighty God. As I mentioned yesterday we had a most wonderful holiday gathering and as always, it was top shelf special. Surrounded by grand kids is about as good as it gets for an old dude like me. But reality is just that, reality, and we eventually have to return to the real world. For those who have read my blogs over time you will recognize that as it relates to our family gatherings, food, food, food, and more food is how we surround our celebration. However, since my detour on to the diabetic path, I can’t dig in like I once did but I do enjoy sampling and savoring the many dishes that hold special memories and meaning in our traditions. One daughter-in-law made some sweet potato pie with marshmellows as a topping. It was all browned up like Granny Mac used to do it and while I didn't each much, the taste alone brought back so many precious memories. It was one of those tastes that connected the holidays and brought that sense of blessing that fills us up and makes us thankful. Given all this myriad of temptation, I am very thankful to report my weight has stabilized and I have, with God's help, somehow been able to muster the discipline needed to stay focused on a diet dictated by the disease I carry with me everywhere I go.

I have done my best not to become one of those who criticizes others who indulge themselves like I did just eighteen months ago. However, there is a balance between being high and lifted up versus a heartfelt concern towards others prompting a desire to help them avoid the sudden shock that comes with this diagnosis. I cannot say it too often but can only be thankful because I know without God’s help and if left to my own doing I would likely set aside common sense and end up quickly being right where I was before all of this started. That would be enjoyable for a while but based on what I now know, it would be only in the short term. As I have shed the pounds I have by necessity had to change my wardrobe. In addition to losing the nearly 50 pounds I am easily 5 inches smaller in the waist now. I am actually wearing a 14-14 ½- sized men’s shirt that I probably haven’t fit into for more than 40 years.

I shared this bit of news one day with Ole Roy, our shop superintendent here at the company. He said he couldn’t believe I would admit to wearing a shirt that small. In fact, he recommended that I quit bothering to buy clothes from the men’s store and that I should immediately start purchasing from the women’s department. This is the kind of encouragement I have become accustomed to hearing from Ole Roy. He is a jewel and I can hardly stand the thought of him leaving us after the first of the year. I believe he is actually going to retire this time and I will miss our forth and back dialogue each day. He is gruff, grumpy, and a general grouch but in a lovable sort of way. Deep down inside he cares and I feel privileged to enjoy working with characters like him. I offered an alternative that perhaps I could find something in the boy’s department but he said that wouldn’t work because an office guy like myself who mostly talks on the phone or pecks on the computer and comes in wearing a small shirt had no business passing himself off as a man or a boy. It never stops but I must tell you, it helps make each day interesting and fun. I do hope you have something to smile about at your workplace each day. Might as well because you will be spending quite a bit of your life there! Have a great rest of the week and may God bless. Amen. ….More later.

No comments: