Thursday, December 18, 2008

Remembering and recognizing these very special blessings in my life.

The week has flown by and we have blurred our way to Thursday, December 18, 2008. Today I am delighted to recognize my wife on this 44th anniversary of that icy cold day back in 1964 when our dear Bro. Milton, now laid up in a nearby ICU room, announced to all assembled in that small parsonage: “I now pronounce you man and wife!” Some like to show admiration for their mate by telling everyone they have become their best friend. That’s fine with me but I don’t see my wife in that way at all. In fact, I would never downgrade my respect and love for her by calling her my friend. She is my bride and wife, even as Christ is described to have the Church as His bride, and that’s a position of honor way beyond any definition of friendship. All that know her will attest to the fact that she is a beloved and remarkable woman. She is the type of wife, mother, and Godly influence that causes me to do my best, with God’s help, to honor the Scripture that says I am to love her in the same way that Christ loved the Church and gave Himself up for the Church. (Ephesians 5:25) Happy anniversary sweetheart and may God grant us many more years together.

Today is also our daughter-in-law Mitzi’s birthday. She is a blessing in our lives. She is married to our youngest son and they are a good team. She takes care of her family. She takes this responsibility very seriously. She is a wonderful mother to our grandchildren, Kyleigh, Lexie, and Brady. Does she make a difference? Saved and baptized within the past two years, and since then Kyleigh and Lexie have received Christ and followed Him in baptism. Wow! She is also a person who loves people and has friends galore including some that go back to her childhood. We pause at this time to wish her not only a happy birthday but to also thank God for her being a part of our family.

Last but certainly not least we celebrate the birthday today of our Jimmy Jr., who is now a 12 year old. No one will ever know how many times this little dude helped his Poppy escape the worrisome toils we must deal with in this life. Every one of our grandchildren are special to us. Each are unique and we count them as gifts from God. Jimmy Jr. is our first grandson. Being first is always a distinction that counts for something and it certainly has been that way in my relationship with him. Another blessing has been how God has allowed all our grandchildren to grow up in our presence. There’s some downside to this since we typically are aware of many of the struggles they face but having a hand in raising them up is a gift that we treasure. Even as I write this blog I can recall the many nights our Lil Jim spent the night with his MiMi and Poppy and how we rocked him to sleep, that is, after we went outside to tell the moon good night. Today, he’s a computer game geek and busy about the work of changing into a young man. However, he still carries that sparkle and winsomeness that melts our hearts. Happy birthday to our Jimmy Jr., and may God bless him now and forever. So much to be thankful for! Amen. …….More later.

No comments: