Monday, December 29, 2008

"I'm back in the saddle again!" (Gene Autry)

It's time to wake up and get ready for a brand new day on this Monday, December 29, 2008. After being off for nine days it was a great drive in to the workplace this morning. I even had trouble sleeping as I anticipated being able to get back to the routine of the job I have been blessed to have. People have laughed about me being excited about my job all the way back to the very first job I was able to get. For some reason in this culture, work is supposed to be something you have to do, not something that is exciting. I'm not saying I've never been in the ditch in a particular job situation where I really did hate to have to deal with the pressures and problems, however, I am super thankful that, overall, God has given me a desire to contribute to whatever enterprise I am associated with. That's how I felt this morning when my wife commented that I was leaving even earlier than usual, (3:45 a.m.). But we all are wired up a certain way and that happens to be the way I am connected. I feel very blessed to be that way since it works on Saturday and Sunday as well. That's right, it is a blessing and not a curse as some might think it would be.

But now on to more important matters. How in the world are you doing, anyway? Did you enjoy the Christmas celebration? Did you take time to remember the REASON we even have a Christmas SEASON? Were you able to embrace those near and dear to you? Did you take some time to thank God for His GIFT to the world along with the many other gifts we all enjoy? How about the food? I know we enjoyed a sumptuous day long feast of snacks, finger foods, dips, chips, and then we got serious on some huge grilled steaks, baked potatoes, and all the trimmings. You thought it had to be turkey and dressing? We like that too. We had some on Thanksgiving Day. But our tradition is a steak feast and we've been doing it for perhaps twenty five years or longer. Let me also acknowledge the many financial gifts God has recently given to us above and beyond our regular sources of income. These came from folks who care about our wellbeing and we thank God for their compassion and love. In the end we look back on Christmas 2008 with grateful hearts for how God has provided during perhaps one of the most difficult times in our lives. He is faithful!

Last night I visited with our dear Bro. Milton who is still in the critical wing of ICU. Were it not for that breathing mask he must wear, he would almost look like his old self. His eyes communicate a message of a man of God dealing with a great challenge but thankful for all that God has brought him through. He always enjoys me being there with him. My wife has asked what it is about Bro. Milton and I that makes him desire for me to be there. I believe it is our spiritual bond that has developed over our forty plus years of association. I have great admiration and respect for him as a preacher of the Gospel and as a faithful servant of his Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. He feels connected to our shared relationship in Christ. He always wants me to pray when I am with him there in the hospital. That's our connection. We are two men who recognize that God is the only answer and only hope for our being able to live the life He has called us to live, whether it's getting up and going to work like I did this morning, or in getting the next breath of air like our dear Bro. Milton struggles to do each second. The old hymn comes to mind, "Bless be the tie that binds our hearts in Christian love; The fellowship of kindred minds is like to that above." My prayer is that you and yours will have a blessed week as you seek to serve God with your time, talent, testimony, and whatever treasures He has given to you. Amen. ......More later.

No comments: