Friday, December 19, 2008

Trusting in uncertain riches!

Good morning and welcome to the continuing living of our lives on the current thrill ride called: The Economic Roller Coaster. Yes, it’s Friday, December 19, 2008 and this is what I am thinking about today. It’s not as if I don’t have other things to deal with but it’s always interesting to observe God’s truths as they are reflected back in real life. The other day I was listening to a radio interview featuring a pawnshop operator out in an upscale area in California. He was commenting on the inquiries he had received just since this latest huge 50 billion dollar fraud had been discovered where essentially one man destroyed the wealth of thousands or more. He said he had been asked to bid on yachts, high-end jewelry, exotic sports cars, and many other luxury items. Some who called him were desperate because their wealth had essentially been eliminated in one fell swoop. (That is the correct rendering of the phrase, not ‘fail swoop’ as is so often used. Fell is archaic but it has the meaning of bringing something down like our recently felled tree.)

We are all aware of what it means to lose something. But it’s not the typical experience of ordinary people to go to bed a very wealthy person and wake up the next morning essentially broke. The pawnshop operator said when this happens to the very rich they suddenly become very much like everyone else. He said he felt sorry for them because often their very expensive goods are no longer of much value in this economy and they are devastated whenever he gives them a fair market price. The Apostle Paul had something to say about wealth in this world. He told his young helper Timothy to warn those who were wealthy not to put their trust in uncertain riches. I’ve observed that as we live in the flesh, even as believers, often we do so practicing two extremes. When things are going well we tend to forget about our need of God. When things are going really bad we tend to think God is not treating us fairly.

Many often joke about how they don’t have to worry about how the rich may feel since they are not and never have been wealthy. However, to the overwhelming majority of folks who populate the planet even Americans making a modest income would be thought of as rich. Poor people can be just as ungodly as rich people. The calling is for us all to be faithful in whatever condition we find ourselves. That’s exactly what the Apostle Paul said in that now famous passage from Philippians Chapter 4, 11) "Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content: 12) I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound. Everywhere and in all things I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. 13) I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” Good, bad, or indifferent we can make it if our trust is in God and we are living by faith and receiving His strength to enable our way. A good reminder so near the day we set aside to remember when Immanuel, (God with us), made his appearance as an infant born to his virgin mother, coming into His created world to save His created human family from their sins. Have a wonderful Saturday and Lord’s Day Sunday. Amen. ….More later.

PS ......We hope to move back to our home next week. Our phone lines and internet are scheduled to be reconnected next Monday. Therefore, with God’s help I am hoping to post something before Christmas Day. Our company is on holiday until December 29 so depending on how things work out I may not see you until then. Me being offline for a few days might be the best Christmas present of all but that will not deter me and I will be doing my best to post before then.

1 comment:

Freddie said...

Bro. Al.....oh how I miss hearing you talk in Sunday School. Believe it or not, I did learn many things from that class. You & Marilyn are such special people and I love reading your thoughts. Thank you for sharing the site with me. Can't wait to come back and read even more. I hated to hear of your house problems. Give Marilyn a hug for me. Freddie