Thursday, October 30, 2008

Someday, when I get myself all retired!

You might want to protect yourself because thought provoking thoughts are coming your way on this Thursday, October 30, 2008. Not really, but it did sound pretty good so I decided to get your attention first and then let you decide whether or not there’s anything here worth reading. I think they call that a ‘hook’ or teaser just to get you interested. I do at times think about thinking about other things to write about and perhaps once I get myself all retired I will provide some new subjects and materials for my daily delving into the recesses of those illusive tiny gray cells that in my case mostly stay on recess. I do have some fictional stories lying around somewhere that I might use or some of the really neat Bible stories I’ve adapted for children. I know the children’s stories are pretty good because I read one of them to Little Jimmy, my grandson, and he said it was the finest story about David and Goliath he had ever heard. I think he was maybe nine at the time but the children’s book editors I sent some samples to did not share his enthusiasm for my literary prowess. But when I get myself all retired that’s another ‘to-do’ that’s waiting for my attention.

There are many famous authors whose works were routinely rejected hundreds of times before they caught on. Some of the rejected materials later became huge sellers and even classics. Granted most of them had more going for them than a single grandson’s analysis but their persistence in not giving up, and their willingness to endure the criticisms, get back up, and give it another go, should be an encouragement to us all. There’s so much that goes into what is deemed marketable at any given time. I have investigated self-publishing which by the way is a huge new industry with tremendous tools, capabilities, and potential done almost 100% online! Everything from editing to artwork can be purchased along with the actual printing and distributing of the books themselves. One small issue involves the huge amount of up-front money required but when I get myself all retired perhaps I can figure out ways that this might work.

Meanwhile you are stuck with the mundane meanderings of a fellow struggler who gets up each day and seeks to live out a productive schedule on behalf of serving God and others. I don’t always do either very well but desiring to is certainly a good way to start each day. Believe me, there are many things on my list to do before I leave this temporary home for the permanent one Jesus is preparing for me. (John Chapter 14) Some of these things are written down but much of it exists only on my mental notepad. (Based on my recent confessions about unscheduled memory faults, that mental list may be in danger, however, since I’m not 100% certain of what’s on the list, I would likely never know the ones I lost!) I do know it’s a list filled with hopes, dreams, aspirations, people to see and places to go. Will I ever get to accomplish these things? I don’t really know the answer to that question at this time but I do know that when I get myself all retired I will be able to better evaluate these and many other adventures I’ve not even thought about yet. I will do my best to see that the context will always be based on God’s will and provision but I think having dreams to begin with is a big part of being ready for the next door He wants to open. I am looking forward to it all! Amen. ….More later.

No comments: