Friday, October 17, 2008

Fiddling around on a Friday!

Some look at today as the week's finish line, so pat yourself on the back because you made it, congratulations on this Friday, October 17, 2008! I filled up my car this morning and felt a little relief myself. Best I could figure, it was $8 less than it cost just a couple of weeks ago. Now that sounds really good and it did make me feel like we are making progress. HOWEVER, there are plenty of experts who think quickly falling gas prices could be signaling some really bad economic days ahead. There's always someone who will rain on your parade. Last week I stopped to fill up my wife's car and an older lady was there filling her's up. She said it felt so good not to be putting $60 worth in her tank. I told her that was good but it might not be so good if we end up not having the dollars at all to buy things like gasoline. She then asked me what I thought was going to happen on November 4th. I told her I really didn't know for sure but the winds of change appear to be gaining momentum. She then said she was disgusted with the whole mess. I agreed but said I could not see myself voting for the most liberal person ever to run for office. She said she felt the same way and in the end would have to hold her nose and vote the only option she felt even close to a choice that makes sense to her.

Disgusted with the whole mess. While that may not be the way the pundits would phrase it, I think this lady pretty much hit the nail on the head. Many of us are frustrated with the choices we have in this race. It is sad to not be energized or excited about a candidate that you can really believe in. Don't get me wrong, I do intend to cast my vote and I will do my best to vote as I believe God would have me to. But this election cycle has been one long drawn out bout of depression as it relates to someone bringing a message of hope, inspiration, and direction for this country who still has the motto of 'In God We Trust'. Sometimes you might think it is just you. But that lady at the gas pump reflected what I believe to be Jimmy Carter's famous malaise that we now find ourselves in. The suits show up for the debates and the suits have much to say but for the most part it all has a hollow ring to it. I've felt somewhat this way a few times in the past but I don't believe it has ever been quite so all encompassing. The good news is that regardless of who takes the oath of office in January, we who are believers already have a Commander in Chief who is Lord of heaven and earth. Yes, we will do our best to be loyal citizens of this temporary homeland because we are called on to do so, but we will serve our time here knowing that one day we will make it to our true country where we will live forever and ever, Amen.

On my way home Wednesday evening from a meeting at our local Church I listened to some of the last presidential debate for this election cycle. It reminded me of that most popular tune 'Dueling Banjos". Maybe I'm becoming too cynical but there just seems to be no 'there' there in the empty rhetoric flying forth and back. This is not to say that I am disrespectful of the two major candidates. They have lived lives that do reflect upon what we call the American dream. They have overcome obstacles and they have many fine accomplishments. Yet, something within me says we can do better than this in terms of finding someone reflecting the best of who we are as a people. A Washington, a Jefferson, a Lincoln, or in my lifetime, a Ronald Reagan. But we have what we have and God would have us to operate within the boundaries of being law abiding citizens who participate and support the God ordained authorities in our life. Therefore, we should, with much prayer and devotion, seek God's help for our nation, our leaders, and all that will result from this important election. I do hope you and yours will have a wonderful Saturday and that Sunday will find you hearing God's word alongside a local fellowship of believers. Until next week, may the good Lord bless and keep us all! Amen. ....More later.

No comments: