Friday, October 10, 2008

How about an engaging escape?

Thanks for tuning in to Friday’s episode on this October 10, 2008. When you find yourself harried because of being so hurried that you meet yourself coming back, (I’ve heard that comment all of my life but I’m not exactly sure what it means, other than you are really busy), you need to have a way of escaping for a few minutes. Nothing does this better for me than listening to an old radio program. They are officially called Old Time Radio (OTR). I know I've mentioned this before but some of you have not yet checked it out. In a few mouse clicks you can listen to a classic George Burns and Gracie Allen routine from the 1940’s or an episode of Dragnet where Sergeant Joe Friday always gets his man. What’s so interesting about listening to old radio programs? First of all they are a treasured part of history and it was the television set for many of our recent ancestors, and for some of us, our parents and grandparents. Secondly, many of them are very well written and acted but you also get to be a part of the program because your imagination is required. (You must provide your own visuals.)

One of the best websites is called the OTR Network Library and they boast of having more than 12,000 programs preserved and available for listening. I like that particular site because it is divided by genre making it easy to choose a comedy series, a variety show, mystery, detective, drama, or suspense program. You can find them at the following address: “http://www.otr.net/”. The other thing I like about listening to these stories is how you can listen while doing emails, writing reports, and other types of work. I am also a huge fan of the Live365 website where thousands of independent radio stations exist. Some are fee based but an unbelievable number of them are free and they feature every form of music, comedy, and talk imaginable. Some mornings I like to get started off with some Celtic sacred sounds, or maybe hymns presented by large orchestras. Or, I might find myself listening to big band performances from the 1930’s and 1940’s, some western swing, or Cajun numbers. There are days when I like to go back to my roots with some down home Southern Gospel or bluegrass. Okay, while I love variety I’ll tell you they do have plenty of the heavy metal and other junk like that along with rock and roll and rap. But I have no taste for any of that stuff.

I’m stunned by the variety that’s available and how on any given day I find myself tuned in to unique sounds from every corner of the globe. Some folks would not want to hear bagpipes for very long but occasionally I will listen to a number of tunes recorded in Scotland reflecting marches, folk songs, and hymns. If you can string words together and put them into their search box you will most likely find a station playing your requested materials. You can find this wealth of recorded media at the following address: “http://www.live365.com/index.live”. It works for me and my advice is to try it, you might just become a fan! Meanwhile, we do have Saturday, then we have the Lord’s Day, Sunday, designated as such because we gather in His name to worship Him, to hear from Him through the study of His word, and in putting our faith into action by loving one another. The music stuff and other escapes may not be your thing but you can’t go wrong by doing right in attending one of the Lord’s services this Sunday. Enjoy and may God bless. Amen. More later.

No comments: