Friday, October 24, 2008

Better get that jacket but it does feel good!

Good morning on this very cool Friday, October 24, 2008. That's right, it is 42 degrees and it not only feels good but it also makes autumn seem to be more of a reality. My youngest son went on a special hunt last weekend on some type of game management project out on the lease where his company partners with others. I think they have over 15,000 acres and hearing him talk about their hunting brought back memories of how we used to do it when I was a kid. Also, yesterday before work started a number of the fellows were out around the coffee pot discussing the same thing. I used to listen to the older fellows give their rendition of how it was way back then. Now, I'm in the category of being able to tell the younger dudes how it was way back then. Funny how that works, isn't it? One day you are the young guy listening, the next thing you know, you are the old fuddy duddy spreading stories from the good old days.

We were all laughing about how much hunting has changed. When I was a kid we pretty much wore our regular clothes, perhaps with some extra padding if it was really cold, and made do with what we could find. Today, there are hunting outfits, all kinds of camouflage, different scents, all types of communications equipment, deer stand comforts, and the list goes on and on. My grandfather would have a good laugh about all these newfangled ways to hunt. We more or less had the basics. We had our guns, shells, food, and enough utensils to cook up a meal. If we spent the night, we typically slept in the back of my granddad's pickup truck and wrapped up in a bunch of homemade quilts. I noticed my car this morning was dripping dew. That same dew on a 40 degree morning would have saturated those quilts. You were damp and too cold to get up and too cold to sleep. But my grandfather would have already been up very early and he would have a big fire blazing and the smell of breakfast was in the air. No propane heaters for us but did we ever enjoy our times! I can smell that fried squirrel and eggs as they popped in the grease along with that boiled coffee as a most wonderful way to greet the day. Do people enjoy hunting with all the comforts many have today? Yeah, I think they do because that basic instinct is still there. However, nothing will replace my memories of so many wonderful times we had doing it the old fashioned way. Of course my granddad's granddad would probably have told us how it used to be in his day. And, so it goes.

Okay, here we are on a Friday and we have so much to be thankful for. Those memories I mentioned are something to be thankful for. I could tell you some tales. But, I have already and will only say that making good memories for our children is something we should take seriously. Lord knows they will get plenty of bad ones along the way as a part of living in this fallen world. While my brothers and I enjoyed our time out in the woods going on a hunting excursion, it required a lot of time, effort, and preparation by my granddad. He could have gone by himself and not even had to worry about all the cooking stuff, and other details needed to have us tag along. We didn't recognize he had gone to any trouble at the time but looking back through the lens of experience, I know he did, and I am so thankful he chose to do so. I wouldn't have near the stuff to write about if others hadn't gone out of their way to provide me with the memories I cherish today. This is a good time to encourage us all to think about what our children and grandchildren will be writing in their blogs some forty or fifty years from now. Enjoy your Saturday. Attend a local worship time on Sunday. And, plan on meeting me back on Monday with some more of these weebly wobbly stories. Until then, may God bless and keep you and yours. Amen. .....More later.

No comments: