Thursday, October 9, 2008

It's hard to count them all!

Don't look now but we've made it all the way to Thursday, October 9, 2008. It is one of those clear and cool mornings where the air is not only invigorating but the stars look so close you feel as if you could almost touch them. Fifty degree weather is about the line for some folks who think it's just a little cooler than they like but for many it is such a welcome breath of fresh air. I can just see those little ones bundled up at the bus stop dressed like they live in Norway in the dead of winter. But that's okay. We are all different. Some like it hot, some like it cold, and others don't seem to like it regardless of what it might be. It's real easy to lose an appreciation for the good things God gives to us like a beautiful morning, especially when we are distracted with all the busy activities that clamor for our attention. After suffering the internal clock mishap yesterday I suppose I had sent him a mental note not to let that happen again. This morning I woke up at 2:40 but saw the clock wrong and thought it was 3:40, therefore, I got up and started getting ready for work. I caught myself and returned to bed but it was as if my internal clock was having a good chuckle. As I lay there trying to get back to sleep I began to think about this matter of taking the time to stop, look, and listen to all that God is doing as opposed to being overcome with the weight of "my world".

My mind began to rehearse scenes from days gone by, events to be treasured, and blessings that God has given to me. The Bible tells us not to become weary in well doing but we know we can also become weary from being weary. I sometimes think my plate is too full but compared to many others it's hardly worth mentioning. My wife and I had a wonderful hour long conversation with one of our most treasured friends last Saturday evening. Ruth was our across the driveway neighbor for twenty years. She and her husband, Ellis, were very special to us. She had a special hatred for those huge pine trees in our yard. She always feared a couple of them might even fall their way and hit their garage. She and my wife used to joke that the day after my funeral the pine trees were coming down. She is a funny lady and at age 88 has not lost a beat. When I got her on the phone I told her I wanted to be the first to tell her that she was right and that she had told me so. The pine tree did fall and it did come into our house! She was hurt for us but as always with our Ruth there will be so much laughter when you finish talking your face feels tired.

Friends. These folks were like family to us. What a blessing. There's little wonder that I used to tell people when you look up neighbor in the dictionary there you will find pictures of Ruth and Ellis. She lives far away today and we miss seeing her but how blessed we are to be able to enjoy this special relationship. It should make us all wonder if anyone thinks our picture might show up in their dictionary as a model for something special in their life. Come to think about it, the fellow who bought her house has been a good neighbor also. The folks that live behind us are good neighbors. The young couple who lives across the street from us are also fine folks. He's a constable and just completed many 12 hour days in the aftermath of the hurricane we suffered. The old song says we should count our many blessings, name them one by one, and it just might surprise you to see all that God has done! That's a great idea and I hope you will do it as well, count them up, past, present, and even those we know that are coming, and then give God thanks for all that He has done! Amen. ......More later.

No comments: