Friday, September 5, 2008

Thanks for giving to my life!

It’s walk down memory lane Friday, September 5, 2008. Today I am thinking about my mom’s mom, my grandmother, who was born on this date in 1903. Granny Mac as we called her along with many others both in and out of the family, was a very influential person in my life. One of my sisters told me that when she was young she would get very agitated when others called her Granny Mac. She let them know in no uncertain terms that she was her Granny Mac, not theirs. After my dad passed away suddenly in 1954, she and my granddad did what they could to help my mom raise me and my two brothers and three sisters. Granny Mac passed away in March of 1983. She was a remarkable woman of faith and character who carried with her everywhere a quiet testimony reflective of her deep faith and commitment to Christ. Her life’s story was one punctuated by great challenges, tragedies, and illnesses. However, through it all, her resolve, her love for her family, and her sense of duty became beacons for those she touched. I am so thankful to God for this woman and how He used her to help shape me into the person I am today.

As I thought about Granny Mac I was transported back to a time when life was different in many ways but also very similar, especially in terms of advertising. I found some old ads out on Flickr that reflect some on these ‘good old days’. We didn’t have the many technologies available today but people did do their best to get their message across. I was one of those who would grab hold of any magazine I could find and flip through the pages, paying attention especially to the pictures. Images were very important then just like they are today. Even as children we dreamed of our mom having more modern appliances to help make her life easier. I was one who read those tiny little ads in the comic books or those on the cereal boxes and sent off for the once in a lifetime special toys. Having either worked chores for the money or begged it, I would walk the floors waiting each day for it to come in the mail. When it did, it typically was never what the picture showed it to be. No wonder we end up being so skeptical!

Bottom line, I had a good life growing up. It was chaotic at times because of all the circumstances we faced but there was always a sense of ‘home’, a respect for God, and a confidence of faith in Him exhibited by my mom and my grandparents. A few months ago when I had my knee surgery I used a borrowed cane, although I really didn’t need it. Granny Mac also used one for many years. As I leaned on that cane it brought back memories of seeing her use it to make points with us or anyone else whose attention she needed. She could use it like it was an index finger and often the thoughts she expressed were pearls of grace and wisdom that came from her long journey with her God. I cherish her memory on this, the 105th anniversary of her birth date, this being also the 25th anniversary year of her passing. May God bless the many seeds she planted and watered and may they continue to bring forth a bountiful harvest both now and in generations to come! Amen. ….More later.

No comments: