Monday, September 8, 2008

So much to be thankful for!

Good morning one and all. It is now officially Monday, September 8, 2008. What a wonderful Saturday and Sunday we enjoyed. Here we are deep in the humidity capital of our country and we wake up on Saturday to temps in the low 60's with a cool crisp breeze. Now I ask you, are we blessed or what? About daybreak I was out doing a brisk one and one half miles, some fast walking, and some jogging. The birds were waking up and making noise along with some dogs. Only a few brave souls were stirring about that early. Just one block away from our house, one fellow and an associate were getting all their stuff together for a boy scout function. Towards the end of my walk I met a fellow I know out walking their very elderly cocker spaniel. I think that dog is around 17 years old. We visited for a few minutes and talked a little about when I might be hanging around the house more. He and others around us are always asking when I am going to retire. I told him not to be surprised if by the end of spring next year that very thing might happen. But at the moment we are in melt down mode at my workplace and I would never leave my good friend and brother in Christ who owns the company in a bind. We will just have to wait and see!

That cool air must have really got me going because I ended up washing both our cars. My wife finally woke up and she even got busy. She spent time mostly in the house cleaning this and that and we both more or less whistled while we worked. Isn't it interesting how that something like a little cooler weather can change our attitude and our altitude. After I finished the cars I watered all her precious plants and even coaxed the neighbors cat over for a head rub. I was sitting in the grass and she was laying out sunning and I kept calling her until her curiosity finally gave in. I am not an animal person but when the weather is so beautiful, who knows what you might end up doing? I volunteered to go to the grocery store and parked about as far away as I could, just for the privilege of walking. Inside the store I bumped into a lady we knew from a previous Church many years ago. I visited with her for a few minutes and then proceeded with my shopping. I then came upon a lady with her three kids who we have known since she was a little girl. Her mom is in my Bible study class and she was with them as well. Her little ones are precious and I had to kiss each one of them on the top of their heads. Mindy used to be one of those little girls who lined up each Sunday morning as I greeted them on their way into the Church sanctuary. What a blessing!

I started a new series Sunday morning and as with many of the lessons I prepare, I was so excited about it I couldn't sleep. I give God the credit for this anticipative excitement and would not trade it for anything in the world. I was at the Church property to help get everything opened and ready very early, did some rearrangement of my classroom, made coffee, and then did my normal 30 minute call to my mom. We had a great class time. We had wonderful time of music and worship. After the services we met our middle son and his family for lunch. We had a great meal together and then Alex, Alesha, Amanda, and Jimmy Jr., came home with us to spend the afternoon. I didn't see any football. I didn't watch any baseball. I didn't even see the NASCAR race. But I did have a ball with some of my grand kids. They needed to be at their Church by 5 p.m., so I dropped my wife off to choir practice at ours and then transported them over to their place of worship. Someone mentioned it was grandparents day and that's exactly what we enjoyed! I then returned and made coffee for our Sunday night Bible study and spent some quality time fellowshipping with some of our brothers and sisters in Christ. When I came home I had my snack, took my medicine, and bid a silent goodnight to my wife who was talking to her sister on the phone. By 9:30 I was no longer conscious of my immediate surroundings and next thing I knew it was 3 a.m. All I can say is, thank You Lord for all your blessings and especially for that cooler weather. It was very much appreciated! Look for something to thank God for at this very moment and your day will be better for it! Amen. .....More later.

No comments: