Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Focusing on the BIG picture!

We slept last night with air conditioning and a ceiling fan for the first time in 10 days and let me just say modern stuff is not that bad compared to the alternatives. Amen? I’m also sending out a sincere thanks to all those expressing concern and offering up prayers for us as we make our way through this transitional time of recovery and restoration. It’s a great day to be able to send along these thoughts on this Tuesday, September 23, 2008. Last Sunday they asked me to lead off the testimonies because everyone thinks our tree was perhaps the most significant in terms of damage. My wife was already very emotional because of the way folks had been loving on us but at the same time I wanted to frame my comments in a way that demonstrated our appreciation for how God had answered our prayers to protect our boys, their wives, our grandchildren, and other loved ones. My youngest son said their service at their Church was one where the theme that rose out of people’s response indicated an awareness of the magnitude of this huge storm and gratefulness to God for them and their families being able to gather once again with their fellow believers.

I know that feeling well. Last Sunday or Monday afternoon some of our Church family brought over sandwiches to our family where all who lived in our immediate area had gathered to clear the house of soaked carpet, furniture, and other debris. Our youngest son and his family could not be with us due to gasoline shortages and because of them dealing with their own issues across town. But there we were. About twelve of us and as we paused to pray over the food so graciously provided, I looked around the room and it was just like one of our family gatherings except everyone was tired, smelly, and disheveled. This is when it really hit me. God had heard our prayers and spared those close to us. It was very hard for me to get the words out because I knew deep down inside that it could have been very different. This is why on Sunday when I stood and told about our situation I could not bring myself to complain or offer up a sad story. One lady wrote me a note on the web based diabetes forum I participate in and said to always remember that everything we lost is replaceable and she is so right!

While it’s early in the process we’ve already had some administrative mishaps and miscues in working with our insurance team. There will likely be much more of this as we try to juggle our schedules and get to the many things that have to be done. But I pray that with God’s help we will keep the big picture in mind and as we go forward our thankfulness to God will be evidenced to all those with whom we find ourselves connected. Do I like having to deal with wrong information and losing time and effort due to errors and mishandling? Not really. However, even the difficulties can become platforms for us to be a testimony for the God who heard our prayers. Am I able to get down and dirty when things get out of sync? In a heartbeat! That would be the natural response but we seek a supernatural response so that God will be honored as He makes something good to come from this event. Pray with us about this because I’m sure we will be tested as we make our way forward. Amen. …More later.

1 comment:

Rodney said...

Thanks for adding to our "survivors guilt" ...