Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Instead of none of the above, I vote for the only ONE who is truly above!

Thanks for browsing through my Tuesday’s thoughts on this 9th day of September 2008. I have not forgotten about the political scene although I’ve not commented much on it lately. I really do hate to be cynical about something as crucial as choosing individuals to lead our nation, but they do make it ever so difficult not to be that way! I’m not talking about one side versus the other. Down in the trenches they both are using every tool at their disposal including guilt by association, misstatements, rumors, and that slime stuff that they hope will stick. Why does it have to be this way? One short answer: It works! That’s where we have been and that’s where we are today in our political system. We all claim we hate the negative, the slander, the sleaze, but at the end of the day it typically is the side that does the best job of playing ‘gotcha’ that wins.

I said at the outset that I was not thrilled with the choices available through the mainstream parties. Now that we have candidates and they have chosen their running mates, I’m still not excited. I am one of those proud to be labeled a religious conservative. That really doesn’t mean much to these folks on both sides, only if it indicates a vote for their nominee. In the end, I will likely use that tired old approach of trying to come up with the team I deem to be the less harmful among these disappointing choices. Let's face it, we do not have a Ronald Reagan running this time and we are worse off for it as a nation. However, I continue to encourage us all to put our faith, our trust, and our confidence in the God who holds all things in His hands.

There’s a particular Psalm that I often read and pray back to God that has a very enlightening theme. It’s found in the 146th division and this is how it reads:

1 Praise the LORD! Praise the LORD, O my soul! 2 While I live I will praise the LORD;I will sing praises to my God while I have my being. 3 Do not put your trust in princes, Nor in a son of man, in whom there is no help. 4 His spirit departs, he returns to his earth; In that very day his plans perish. 5 Happy is he who has the God of Jacob for his help, Whose hope is in the LORD his God, 6 Who made heaven and earth, The sea, and all that is in them; Who keeps truth forever, 7 Who executes justice for the oppressed, Who gives food to the hungry. The LORD gives freedom to the prisoners. 8 The LORD opens the eyes of the blind; The LORD raises those who are bowed down; The LORD loves the righteous. 9 The LORD watches over the strangers; He relieves the fatherless and widow; But the way of the wicked He turns upside down. 10 The LORD shall reign forever—Your God, O Zion, to all generations. Praise the LORD!

As we consider all the uncertainties in life it’s good to be able to know that we have the God of Jacob for our help. As we look to the future and all the political commercials vie for our time and attention, remember Who it is that we can always depend upon. That should give us a sense of confidence as we make our way forward. May God bless each one and may God bless our great nation! Amen. …..More later.

No comments: