Friday, September 26, 2008

Fantastical Friday!

Greetings to one and all on this Fantastical Friday, September 26, 2008. It was a very pleasant drive this morning with the temperature at 63 degrees, the windows down a little, allowing me to enjoy the cool breeze. I'm not sure it was a good idea for me to begin teaching lessons from the Book of Job. Since that first lesson we've experienced "Ike" and are now looking for temporary housing. Yesterday I was driving our company one ton across the metro-plex with some miscellaneous items for one of our vendors when I topped a ridge and all the cars in front of me came to a complete stop. I was driving an appropriate speed and had no problems slowing to a stop but the fellow behind me in a two ton was not able to do the same. The best way to describe what happened is to use one of my learned colloquial expressions: "He knocked the living daylights out of me!" Fortunately, our truck wasn't damaged that much except for beating up the pieces I was carrying and messing the back frame up a little. He and his sidekick were fine but his equipment didn't fair as well. His big truck pretty much collapsed onto his front tire and he had to be towed. The fellow driving that big truck was a big guy but I've never seen anyone so genuinely concerned about another person's well being. He said he didn't have a problem getting a ticket. He said he didn't care if he was in trouble with his company. He was just very thankful that I wasn't hurt. And, I pause to be thankful to God for that same blessing! We did add to the traffic woes for about an hour as the officer did all the paperwork and wrote the other fellow a citation. Admittedly, I feel stiff in places this morning and no doubt may feel like I've been beaten with a tire tool before it's over. That's what happens when you have the living daylights knocked out of you.

When I returned to our offices our shop foreman was the first to greet me with my new nickname, "Crash". He told me the guys had found an old helmet and wanted me to wear it next time I left the property. He and I joke all the time and he does his best to act like he is really serious in his comments towards me but I know he very much likes me and even yesterday after the joking he turned deadly serious and said, "You are okay, aren't you?" People matter. All business is a people business. God's business here on earth has everything to do with His created human family and you and I get to go and interact with them standing out on the freeway where we are immediately bonded by God's protective care or kidding forth and back with those we work with. Just so you know, I am not a truck driver. I was taking these parts because we are behind in our schedules and we have an all hands on deck attitude when it comes to doing whatever it takes. In fact, just before I left I made the prophetic comment to the fellow I work for that if he hears of something bad happening he might wish he had our recently retired 76 year old driver back. When I called my wife at work to tell her what happened I opened the conversation by saying I had something under the category of "What else can go wrong?" to tell her. After hearing what happened she said please don't use that category again.

This reminded me of a fellow I worked with for over twenty years at the big company. This guy was always having unusual difficulties in his life marked by the fact they happened so frequently. He was said to carry his own black cloud with him everywhere he went. He and I were good buddies and we had lunch together often. His misfortunes were so well known that other folks used to tell me I should be awarded some type of medal for bravery for just walking beside him on the street. It was good for a laugh then and it brings a smile now. I must tell you that I do not see the difficulties we have faced as being anything other than that which is common to us all. The great news is the truth that transcends our troubles. God is on His throne and He cares for His own. Maybe I needed a hug from a big old burly truck driver on the freeway or maybe I needed some testing in the area of my own teaching, but whatever the situation or circumstance, God is at work and He will get us where He wants us to be, one way or another! Say a prayer of thanksgiving that after a huge storm and now after a huge hit God has seen fit to allow me to be pecking away on my keyboard one more time. Amen. Have a great Saturday and Sunday and God willing I will see you next week! ....More later.

No comments: