Thursday, September 25, 2008

New and improved highlights for Thursday!

It’s Thursday, September 25, 2008 and it’s also time to change the subject. I received a notice this week of a graveyard work day scheduled for the cemetery over in the rural area of Louisiana where many of my departed loved ones are buried. A graveyard work day is a special event where folks who share a common interest in maintaining their family plots gather together, work on the graves, share a meal, and enjoy fellowship. I made a number of them when I was a kid growing up and while to many it may sound rather morbid, the atmosphere typically reflects that of a homecoming or family reunion. There’s something special about meeting at that place where so many memories bubble up. I haven’t been able to attend one in many years but I do try to send some financial support from time to time to help with the upkeep.

That type of tradition is no doubt rural but I’m rather pleased to identify with that which defined the “folks back home.” Most of us are aware that traditions many hold dear have been the subject of political controversy this year. One candidate was overheard saying that when times get tough rural people tend to cling to their religion, their guns, and their simple way of looking at life. He said this to a group of supporters who were properly identified as urban, wealthy, and elite. Sure, there was a backlash when this came out but I’m not into playing the gotcha game. All of us, whether we are folks in the country or city dwellers have plenty we can improve on. But when it comes to a heritage of faith, family, and being known for an honest but simple life, I couldn’t be more thankful than I am for those who handed down their values to me.

It goes beyond singing a song proclaiming, “Thank God I’m a country boy.” It has to do with inheriting a strong work ethic, a sense of responsibility to God and others, and a love for one’s country. It’s certainly not a redneck thing. It’s not a good old boy thing. It’s a way of life thing. A local news commentator said he had visited with many of the thousands of utility and service workers here to help with recovery efforts and they hail from every part of our great country. One of the consistent themes of their experience as recounted to him over and over again had to do with the surprising response of hospitality, courteousness, and genuine appreciation they have received from suffering folks in our region. Where does that type of spirit come from? I’m glad you asked because I believe in large measure it comes through a lineage of simple values handed down from folks who did cling to their God and their simple way of life. I don’t know about you but this report makes me even prouder to be a part of this enduring simple life legacy! Amen. ……More later.

No comments: