Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Some scattered thoughts for Wednesday!

Happy Wednesday, September 24, 2008. It sounds like a huge amount of stuff happened while I was away the past ten days focusing on hurricane related issues. We had a stock market melt down, there were a variety of developments in the presidential race, and a huge number of world events as well. Wow! I kind of feel like Rip Van Winkle when he woke up. To be honest, I was somewhat aware of these happenings but only on the surface. Isn't it interesting how we can become absorbed in a particular need or effort to the extent that everything else more or less fades into the background. I believe this is how God would like for us to treat Him and His will for our lives. Pleasing Him should predominate to the extent that other issues pale by comparison. I spent five hours with the insurance adjuster yesterday and my wife said last night that she could tell I was more hopeful by the sound of my voice. It was a productive meeting and we are finally seeing some things happen as a result.

The other day when our brother-in-law from Louisiana arrived with that generator, ice, and extra gasoline, I told him when I saw him pull into the driveway I finally grasped the full meaning of the old idiom, "You are a sight for sore eyes." It was like one of those old cowboy shows where they are just about to succumb to the renegades when the cavalry comes swooping in to rescue them. Again, these metaphors that describe relief and help in our time of need also remind us that our Savior did an even greater act of showing up at the right time on our behalf. He is the ultimate rescuer and we are eternally blessed because He did come and provide a way for us. I now have the insurance process in motion, therefore, I need to be able to expand my vision and get back on track with everyday life. The insurance guy estimates we will be out of our home for at least three months while repairs are being made. That will not be normal but we will do our best to make it as normal as it can be. The other hurdles involve us being the main managers of the contracting process which will no doubt also require much time and attention. My first order of business for today is to spend time taking care of the business here at my workplace and set aside these other matters for a few days. The fellow I work for has been tremendously gracious but I am aware of my duty to him and the business that needs to be done.
Hey, I will be the first to admit that these past two weeks have been tough. This past Monday the entire metroplex attempted to get back on its feet and traffic flow was not ready. As I mentioned earlier, I now have a 48 mile commute instead of 16 miles. Monday evening I left my workplace at 5 p.m., and arrived at my son's home at 7:30 p.m. Whoa! I thought to myself if this is going to happen everyday I will most likely implode on the way home one evening. BUT, last night it was much better and it will continue to get better as they get all the traffic signals properly functioning and folks like me learn how to drive again. Two and one half hours. I was reminded of a Church brother who had once told me about taking a job with a long commute and how God had used that time to help him with his prayer life, in listening to some powerful Bible teaching on the radio, and in just fellowshipping with His God. One thing is certain: There are no wasted moments with God. He can use a long commute, a changed world, and even something as arduous as dealing with insurance matters to mold and develop us into the object of excellence He has in mind. Since this is my daily blog, you will no doubt hear more than an earful about our adventures as a result of 'Ike' but hopefully there will, at the same time, be much more from a life being lived for God's glory and His service. Amen. .......More later.

No comments: