Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Thinking About Getting Ready To Think About Being 62 Years Young!

Welcome to Tuesday, at least here in this time zone, August 12, 2008. This upcoming Saturday people will pause to remember that Elvis did, in fact, leave the building for the last time, some thirty-one years ago. That does not include those who think he is still alive and hidden somewhere, or those who think he was actually abducted by space aliens. It’s also the anniversary of the day I was born. In biblical numbers that would be stated as three score and two. My blog profile pretty much lays out the story of my life, thus far. According to the stats, it has been viewed 353 times, therefore, somebody has sneaked a peek.

That profile has this to say about my life: “Many years in this sojourn here on planet earth and I have the scars to prove it but I have been, am now, and will be blessed to have had the privilege of doing what little I’ve done to honor God and serve others.” I couldn’t have said it better, in fact, I did, in fact, say it. Here’s a recent quote from the U.S. Health Secretary: “Old age is the new middle age.” The article that quoted him went on to detail planned programs that will focus on improving the quality of life for those who are enjoying a longer life. Sounds pretty promising, don’t you think?

In doing a little research on what it means to be 62, I was stunned by what came up near the top of the list. The headline caption read: “Great grandmother gives birth to her 12th child at age 62.” Now wait just a cotton-picking minute! I was looking for information about aging, retirement, and associated options, NOT a story about someone my age giving birth to a child! I suppose I should have guessed that the story came from California. While this is an amazing feat, this lady does not hold the official record. The Guinness Book gives that honor to a 66 year-old Romanian woman who gave birth to a child in 2005.

I was actually hoping for encouraging information about rocking chairs, bingo, and special senior discounts. NOT!!!! Just kidding. Hey, I am very happy to be up and going like I am as I prepare to cross this threshold where Social Security and other retirement options become more viable. Just one year ago I found out I have diabetes and with some aggressive changes in my lifestyle, diet, along with targeted medications, I’ve been able to keep it under acceptable control. For this I am thankful. I also have some good role models all around me. Several fellows show up here at the plant and turn out quality work even though they are many years past normal retirement. My mom and dad lead very active lives including gardening, yard work, and staying on the go. I’m quite sure, come Saturday, I will not turn into a pumpkin but I do look forward to what God has planned for the time I have left. He knows I desire His direction as I make decisions going forward. Please don’t groan but this is most likely not the last you will hear about this milestone, but think about it, old people don’t always have that many topics to choose from! And, thank God for your Tuesday! Amen. …. More later.

No comments: