Friday, August 8, 2008

Fill In The Blank Friday!

Today is fill in the blank Friday, August 8, 2008. No, it doesn't have anything to do with the 08-08-08 which I heard someone saying is supposed to be a very lucky day. I was thinking of a song recently about true happiness and the thought came to me how that so many have different ideas about what would actually make them happy. Therefore, today's blog is about filling in the blank in this sentence: Happiness for me is __________. Since people overwhelmingly say that being happy is a driving force in their lives, then it would do us all good to know exactly what we believe to be the main components of happiness in our life. One philosopher had this to say about this matter of happiness: "You will never be happy if you continue to search for what happiness consists of. You will never live if you are looking for the meaning of life." No wonder we are all confused! Albert Schweitzer put it this way: "Happiness is nothing more than good health and a bad memory."

Many people would no doubt join Dr. Schweitzer in putting good health into at least a portion of their idea of happiness. However, there's tons of folks who are physically healthy but still live out their lives without any indication of joy. I can tell you by experience that as a younger person 'things' were a huge part of what I pursued as part of my quest to be happy. That next big purchase may have brought some sense of wellbeing into my world for a fleeting time but I can testify that it did not last and often became a burden before the new wore off. You would not be surprised that the Bible speaks extensively to the questions that swirl around this determined pursuit to find happiness. I have found the truths God has given to us about this subject to have proven themselves to be just that, the truth! Our lives do not consist of the things we possess, or the status we hold, or even the health we enjoy. None of these things will fill that void which shows itself in our pursuit of happiness.

To put it into perspective, happiness is knowing God and His provision of Himself through His Son, the Lord Jesus Christ. If that's not the first thought that came to your mind for filling in your blank, well, welcome to being human in the year of 2008 and actually it could be welcome to being human, period. We are all on a journey including those of us who are believers. We too fall prey to seeking happiness in all the wrong places instead of turning to the Person who lives within us. At any rate, the song I was thinking about that brought all this up is one that I remember from many years ago:

Happiness is to know the Saviour,
Living a life within His favour,
Having a change in my behaviour,
Happiness is the Lord.

Happiness is a new creation,
Jesus and me in close relation,
Having a part in His salvation,
Happiness is the Lord.

Real joy is mine, no matter if teardrops start;
I've found the secret, it's Jesus in my heart!

Happiness is to be forgiven,
Living a life that's worth the living,
Taking a trip that leads to Heaven,
Happiness is the Lord,
Happiness is the Lord,
Happiness is the Lord!

I do pray that we all will see the truth in this song and find the peace and joy that comes from recognizing the true source of happiness in our lives. Have a great time of it over the next couple of days and Lord willing I will be back here on Monday. See you then. May God bless you and yours. Amen. ...More later.

No comments: