Thursday, August 28, 2008

Elucidation In Progress for Thursday!

Thursday has arrived and it just happens to be in living color on this August 28, 2008. My wife didn’t like my blog from yesterday so much. She thought I was being way too hard on myself. That was not my intention but part of knowing who you are is in having a really good idea about who you are not. I will say God was with me yesterday in my early meeting with the quality team folks. Outstanding workmanship will go a long way in pulling your bacon out of the fire, (whatever that means), and that’s exactly what happened. They looked at a number of the panels we are currently building for them, went over them with a fine tooth comb, and came back to my office and poured on the praise for the quality of our work.

Hello? And I was afraid they were going to ask about that airflow formula for calculating cross flow ventilation in an enclosed space. (Just kidding.) Their visit had not started out that way because one of them led off with a stirring lecture on the benefits of doing things right the first time. One of the fellows was an African American that I knew from a prior meeting and he is a Bible quoting machine. He literally glows in his reflection of what Christ means to him. The other fellow who did the speech seemed puzzled by the brotherly connection his comrade and I portrayed. God is good and in the end I’ll take that unexpected compliment, pass it on to our owner and the guys building their boxes, and move on to the next opportunity for me to bring defeat where certain victory is in view. (Another just kidding, but I threw it in for my wife.)

In two weeks we will begin the fourteenth year of our inner city Bible club ministry. It will be my eleventh year and I am excited about the potential for touching the lives of these precious children. We had our little planning meeting last Tuesday evening and it was so good to see Brother Kim and his folks again. When I hit a few snags and become distracted and discouraged in doing my thing for the Lord, I try to remember Brother Kim and his very difficult mission field. I continue to describe it the best way I know how. He essentially works in an environment that unfolds like an ongoing episode of Cops. Only eternity will reveal the full impact of his labors there. Pray for us in this new club year as we seek to do our best, with God’s help, to make a difference.

I kept my commitment to not watch any of the Beijing Olympics but I did keep up with what was going on through news and online sources. I have only caught a few minutes here and there of the Democratic National Convention but I have read quite a bit about the speeches thus far, all the shenanigans going on behind the scenes, and the spin coming from both democratic and republican sources. I understand the ratings are up considerably compared to the 2004 affair; therefore, interest in this election is heating up. I know the stakes are high. I did watch the two presumed nominees in the presidential forum hosted by Saddleback Church on August 16 out in California. I was super impressed with the format where both candidates were separately asked exactly the same questions. For anyone who really wants to know where these guys stand on a variety of issues that matter to us all, this forum is still available out on the web for viewing. (I did a quick search and the video is available on YouTube and transcripts are out there on different sites as well.) I highly recommend it as a critical information source for every concerned voter. In the end, we must all come to our decision, hopefully prayerfully considered, and vote as we believe God would have us to. Fortunately, He will still be ultimately in charge of all things regardless of who wins in November. Have a great day and may God bless America. Amen. …..More later.

No comments: