Thursday, August 14, 2008

Always Be Ready! But Ready For What?

Hello and welcome to a brand new Thursday, August 14, 2008. This is the day the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it! (Psalm 118:24) Let me tell you, I know there are many days when this is much easier than others. Ever notice how that praises flow almost spontaneously from the inside out whenever things seem to be going our way, and everything is falling into place, our personal lives are in good shape, and all is well? Hold on to that thought because it is subject to change in a flash! I've been there and done that enough times to know how we can even become somewhat smug and conceited as the blessings pile up. However, it doesn't take long for the 'Woe is me.' to get cranked up when there's a setback or reversal in our conditions. Yet, one of the wonderful characteristics of our great God is how that He never changes. He is the same yesterday, today, and forever, and we are blessed to be able to give Him praise, honor, and glory regardless of our circumstances.

There are many times whenever we are distressed because the issues are great and our God is there for us. There are other times when we become upset, angry, and out of sorts over the slightest of difficulties, inconveniences, or mole hills that we turn into mountains. One of the things we have in our immediate area are traffic signals that take a long time to change. This can be aggravating. Wait, wait, and wait a little longer. And, may the good Lord be with that individual who does not snap immediately to the light change because suddenly there is a cacophony of car horns behind them. We are talking split seconds here. Talk about being wound up too tight! What about folks in the grocery line who wait until the last article is placed in the bag before they begin to think about getting their checkbook out for payment? Don't write me but to tell the truth, it's mostly ladies who do this. Okay, let me see if I have this right? You came to the store. You loaded your buggy full of products. Now you are being checked out. The cashier finishes and now it's time to pay. Oh, that's right and it requires a form of payment. Let me entertain the 10 people waiting by showing them the 22 objects I carry in my purse. (Some of which we could all do without seeing.) Why they do this I will never know but on the other hand, the question to me should be why does it bother me so much.

Bothered. Unfortunately, being bothered makes up far too much of the reason we are often in a bad mood or feeling down and out. For me, I've found I do much better in dealing with these annoying situations whenever I make up my mind not to allow any of these types of things to get to me. We need to save all our energy and hand wringing for those times when it is really warranted. Just joking. We actually need to live in a way at all times that demonstrates we are living for our Lord and leaning on Him in the good times and bad, during peace or tumult, or even whenever the lady in the line can't seem to get a clue about what it means to be ready to pay. The Scriptures tell us that we should always be ready to give a reason for the hope that lies within us and to do so with gentleness and respect. (1 Peter 3:15) Ouch! Always. Yes. You don't have to be a biblical scholar to know that being ready always includes all the time in all situations. So, there you have it. We can prepare to deal with any and all adversity by preparing to be always ready to give a testimony of what having Jesus in our heart is all about. I will have to prepare myself to remember this especially when I am at the grocery store! (I must confess that I will never be able to figure that one out!) Pray for me. Have a great day and may God bless! Amen. .....More later.

No comments: