Friday, August 15, 2008

Reflections From A Muddy Pool!

Welcome to Friday, August 15, 2008. Since I will be a brand new 62 year old by the time Monday rolls around, I really had in mind to share some of the profound things I’ve learned about life during my journey here. If you were sitting here next to me you would note a very long pause has taken place. I recently was doing maintenance in my email folders and was surprised to re-read many of the responses from a variety of people commenting on some of the stuff I have written about since starting the daily blogs. Some folks indicated they had been encouraged, uplifted, or amused by a story or recollection I shared. Perhaps this is the best indication of what I have learned in life. Sharing what God has done in the past, is doing now, and my hope in Him for the future, along with anecdotes and stories about the unfolding of my life may be the best expression of my sojourn.

I will be the first to admit there are many failures on my part that I have chosen not to share. They are painful to recall and suffice it to say, they produced their own bruises and scars along the way. Like most people there’s much in my life I would like to think I would do differently if I had the opportunity, but that’s not how life works. We get to where we are through trial and error, ups and downs, falling down and getting up, but with God’s help we learn and move forward. The Bible tells us that when the prodigal came to his senses he returned to his father’s house. That story from Jesus illustrated the cycle we often experience in life. We are prone to wander and find ourselves far away from the safety of God’s will for our life. The even better news is how the story demonstrates God’s love and care since He ran out to meet His wayward child. That’s a very good thing for us all to reflect upon as we make our way forward. (see Luke Chapter 15)

The significant thing that comes to my mind as I write this article is a sense of the gratitude I feel for the life God has permitted me to live. I first and foremost am thankful to God, that He in His eternal plan and purpose, provided a way for me to become His very own child. This was His doing and it came in the form of His gift through His Son who actually took my (and your) place of deserved judgment when He went to and died on the cross. My family both near and far comes to my mind next. My grandparents, my mom and dad, my brothers and sisters, aunts, uncles, cousins, and so many more who have enriched my life. I think of my wife. Now she is a blessing I will never be able to express enough thankfulness for. My wife’s family became like unexpected treasures to me. I then come to my boys, their wives, and my grandchildren. Surely God has blessed me vastly more than I deserve. I also have a tremendous Church family. I am surrounded by great folks to work with in the job I have. Others. The African American friends God has given into my life at the True Light Mission have been like handfuls of blessings on purpose. Also, working with the children there in the Bible club has literally changed my life.

These are a few of the things I thought of as I set out to comment on what it means for me to arrive at age 62. There’s much more, of course. To be a teacher of God’s Word and to know that He through the Holy Spirit has gifted me to share truth with others is nothing less than mind boggling. The Apostle Paul said that any and all things we are able to accomplish is because of God, not because of ourselves, so that we can never boast but only thank Him and give Him the credit He deserves. I try to do that and I can tell you He really is the power behind any and all good things I’ve been able to accomplish in life. Therefore, it’s my privilege to put these words of thanksgiving into this blog today. May God add His blessings to all who read and join me in thanking Him. Amen. ……More later.

No comments: