Friday, August 29, 2008

Don't forget to leave a wake-up call at the front desk!

Get those gray cells warmed up and going because it is Friday already, August 29, 2008. Maybe this song will help get you started: “When the red, red robin comes bob-bob bobbin' along - There'll be no more sobbin' when he starts throbbin' his old sweet song - Wake up, wake up you sleepy head - Get up, get out of your bed - Cheer up, cheer up the sun is red - Live, love, laugh and be happy.” If the tune didn’t jump out at you when you read the words it’s probably because you are under the age of 30. This song was actually written back in the 1920’s and has been recorded by most of the musical legends beginning with Al Jolson. I hate to burst your bubble but Al is not the lead singer for a punk rock group, he actually died in 1950.

I’ve known many people over the years whose greatest challenge on a daily basis is in being able to wake up, get up, and get going. Managing a group with over 150 people gave me plenty of feedback on the variety of problems different folks have in this area. The experts say the number one success factor is having a great reason to get up in the first place. I suppose this has something to do with being thankful for having a job or classroom to go to and in having an expectant desire to embrace the opportunity. It almost goes without saying that going to bed on time would be important. Some use the thought of consequences to help stir their motivation. Others say while a powerful alarm clock will help, they warn that you should stay away from one with a snooze button since the temptation to keep hitting it will always be there.

Just because I don’t use an alarm and rarely have any issues in getting up doesn’t mean that I’ve never overslept. It may sound strange but on those occasions when I have overslept my target I typically still can be early at my job station. That’s because my typical schedule puts me very early at work, therefore, being late for me is to be barely early. People like me who are morning people squared can’t really identify with those who are on the opposite end of the scale. I know this first hand since I live with one of those of the opposite persuasion. The difference, no pun intended, is like daylight versus dark. She loves sleeping in and looks forward to doing so every opportunity she gets. I don’t see it as something to be desired to begin with, therefore, I find myself waiting up to four or more hours on some Saturdays just to share breakfast with my bride!

The motivation part we all can work on. Being excited about each day and thankful that God has provided you with reasons to get up is something that can be developed. If you have physical limitations or if you are hardwired one way or the other, then no doubt it’s more challenging to adjust. I have to deal with this issue myself. Some folks are just getting their second wind at 7 p.m., while I am definitely in the wind down mode. However, if I am needed I have to find the necessary energy to set aside my preferences to accomplish the task at hand. Discipline, respect, and being willing to be flexible in doing whatever is needed will make the most difference over time. ‘My way only’ is always a non-starter. See you very early on Monday morning and may God give us all the things we need to pursue and accomplish His best! Amen. ….More later (earlier!)

No comments: