Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Land Shark in a Fish Tank!

Wednesday is here and it's August 27, 2008. Fatigue. Most of us are aware of what fatigue is all about. There can be physical tiredness that in many ways is fairly easy to deal with. Can you spell r-e-s-t? Then there's the mental tiredness that can be more difficult to handle. In every business there are common processes that are somewhat familiar. I can deal with planning, management, and operational challenges. However, most businesses also include areas of expertise that really do require specialized knowledge and understanding. This is where I am very lacking in the environment I work in today. No one has ever accused me of being mechanical. Even as a kid I used to go with my grandfather to help him on carpenter projects. He would often become very agitated because I didn't know the difference between one tool or the other or couldn't remember how to turn a board half over. It just wasn't my cup of tea. That's not to say I didn't know how to help unload lumber or do other types of manual labor. Often in the work I do today I'm right smack in the middle of some very specialized technical fabrication details that make it really tough for a guy who would rather be setting up a new organization, writing some procedures, or coordinating and managing projects.

My most recent challenge has been dealing with the design specifications for some louvers that are required in some enclosures we are building. One of the worst possible scenarios is to be dealing with folks who are supposed to know what they are talking about but you can't really be sure if they do or do not because you certainly don't have a clue. One thing you learn is that just because people call themselves engineers or experts don't necessarily make them one. However, if you are more or less clueless on the details yourself, the process for finding these things out can be challenging, taxing, and in a deadline oriented world, very trying. I often joke about how fortunate I've been in being able to tip toe through the minefields that make up much of what we do. Most of the time I've been able to somehow squeeze out the right answers and help keep the business humming. And, I do have enough of the stuff I do know how to do to contribute in those areas as well.

Yet, it can be quite a daunting experience to be more and more thrust into these situations where I'm the only person involved who has little to no idea about what is being talked about. I am blessed because God has given me a quick mind and I can pick up enough to stay in the game and even advance the ball down the field. But how long can this go on? I love challenges but the mental stress can chip away at one's capacity over time. Many of the people I deal with assume I know much more than I do. That's actually a good thing. They often talk themselves into the solution and all I have to do is be there to facilitate the conversation. Facilitating conversations is something I can do! It would be funny if it wasn't so scary sometimes. The other day I had an important question posed to me about a very technical issue at hand. It so happened that I had recently overheard some bits and pieces that sounded like it was on the same subject so I jumped in there with some of those comments. Was I ever shocked when the fellow thanked me for helping him to find the right answer. The problem I now have is this guy thinks I do know something and you know what that could lead to!

While all of this has been written to a certain extent, tongue in cheek, it does carry with it the ring of truth. I may have gone so far as to have even convinced the folks here that I know more than I do. No wonder I leave this place mentally spent at times! But, to be honest, I enjoy much of what I do. I love the people I work with. I look forward to being here each day. I guess we all should be thankful I'm not doing what I'm doing in a munitions plant. As my wife will tell you, whatever I'm doing each day, it doesn't take long each evening for me to answer the lights out call. I'm not sure if I am a fish out of water or a little fish in a big pond or a big fish in a little pond but it is what it is and I thank God each day for giving me the opportunity to apply myself to the task at hand. Oh yeah, I just remembered, I have some important people from one of our main customers coming in this morning to discuss quality concepts in metal fabrication environments. This should be good! Say a prayer for them, and me too! Have a great day and may God bless one and all. Amen. .......More later.

No comments: