Monday, June 16, 2008

A Thanksgiving Meal to Remember!

Wake up sleepy head, it's Monday already! On the way home Friday evening I ran by the store and picked up some gifts for Father's Day. Once home, I hurried upstairs and jumped on getting my lesson handout completed for my Bible study class on Sunday. I got the Father's Day cards made for our three sons and then knew I could execute my plan for Saturday. Everyone has to know when their best time for getting things done especially things that require a lot of mental exertion. Mine is between 4 a.m. and 11 a.m. That's why I usually never do the type things mentioned at night. I know some folks where it works the opposite, therefore, I guess it's that internal clock deal again. At any rate, getting this done allowed me to be up early Saturday morning and on my way to Louisiana to have breakfast with my step dad and to give him a gift to honor him for being the great dad he is. I was running a little early so I ran by the cemetery and visited the grave sites of our many loved ones, friends, and brothers and sisters in Christ. It was right about 8 a.m., and I was the only one there. I could walk from grave to grave and remember each person and how they had touched my life. My dad's grave is there, my grandfather's also, and many other men who influenced me in my life. Some might think it morbid but I was able to offer up a prayer of thanksgiving for these that had been 'dads' in my life. Yes, I will see many if not all of them again and it is one of the things I do look forward to.

We had a wonderful day visiting with mom and dad and my sister Frances. We laughed, shared memories, shed a tear or two, and had close family fellowship that always becomes a blessing. After I left them at 2 p.m., I ran by my wife's sister and her family for a few minutes and then was on my way back to home base. Saturday turned out to be a most wonderful day and I continue to thank God for it. I got back home at 6:30 p.m. and my wife came in from work and continued her big plan for a big day for Sunday. My wife is quite a remarkable woman. She never really sees herself as we do. She thinks things like preparing a feast is good but she would never call herself a top notch anything. But yesterday she caused us all to throw out the record book and start over! Never, and I mean never, have I seen so much food enjoyed as it was on this special day.

She had settled on having the full meal deal for a Thanksgiving in June. She did the old fashioned cornbread dressing, chicken and dumplings, huge baked ham, homemade potato salad, English peas, cranberry sauce, homegrown tomatoes from my dad's garden, deviled eggs, olives, and fresh hot buttered bread. For dessert she had made a banana pudding and a blackberry cobbler which was served up with Homemade Bluebell vanilla ice cream. Okay. I know she spent several days planning and preparing for all of this. I also know how difficult it is to have everything turn out as close to perfect as one desires. However, on this day, June 15, 2008, she pulled it off! Sure, the fellowship was sweet, and having the kids running all over the place was wonderful. The group went together and bought me a new suit, shirt, and tie and that was great also. But it was the 'all together thing' that made this a memorable day. Granny Mac used to always say that good food begins with caring. How much caring? Obviously it has to be enough and my wife showed she had poured a double portion into this legendary meal.

Why does it always seem I am trumpeting our family get 'togethers'? One of the reasons is because they are a part of my heritage and my wife's heritage handed down from our parents and grandparents. It produces a time of joining together and sharing a prayer and hearing one and all give a hearty Amen! It's about laughing and remembering and sharing. It's about honoring God's designation of dad as the leader in the home and thinking about all those who made an impact on our lives. I know of folks who essentially think we are a little weird for making such a big deal out of something like yesterday's occasion. You know what? I fully respect their views but at the same time I just have to tell you how blessed I am as a result of us doing it the way we do it! Amen. And, may God bless you and yours this week. ........More later.

No comments: