Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Sad and Sweet Memories!

TUESDAY. This past Father’s Day weekend gave me much opportunity to think soberly about the life and times of my grandfather. Everyone who knows me for any length of time will soon enough hear something about my Paw Paw Mac. It took me a number of years to really appreciate just how often I do quote one of his sayings or tell one of his corny jokes or share one of his many stories. I’ve written about him often in my blogs. He is a larger than life figure in my life.

Saturday morning as I stood at the foot of the tombstone bearing his name the memories flooded along with the tears. That man did quite a bit of living in his seventy-one year sojourn. He wasn’t perfect but he was a man of genuine faith and integrity. And, in the end he did his best to pass down to me what he lived by. I’ll share one small example that I just recently thought about. When I was growing up I used to walk with my grandfather to the Church property where we attended which meant we always went early. He was there to light the heaters, turn on lights, and generally get everything ready for the day. Guess who does that exact same thing today?

I do enjoy Irish and Celtic music. I especially enjoy the songs performed by the Three Irish Tenors and Celtic Thunder. Many of the songs tell life stories and often I can see a memory or think of a person whenever I hear a certain song. The themes are often about family, tragedy, and can be very sad. But I do love the lyrics and the tunes and the special haunting musical sounds. Here’s one that makes me think of my grandfather every time I hear it. The setting may be different and some of the recollections are very specific to this writer but the overall sentiment is exactly the way I feel.

THE OLD MAN
The tears have all been shed now
We've said our last goodbyes
His soul's been blessed, he's laid to rest
And It's now I feel alone
He was more than just a father A teacher, my best friend
And he'll still be heard in the tunes we shared
When we played them on our own
I never will forget him, for he made me what I am
Though he may be gone, memories linger on
And I miss him... the old man

As a boy he'd take me walkin by mountain, field and stream
And he'd show me things not known to kings
and secret between him and me
Like the colours of the pheasant as he rises in the dawn
And how to fish and make a wish Beside the holly tree
Oh I never will forget him, for he made me what I am
Though he may be gone, memories linger on
I miss him... my old man

I thought he'd live forever He seemed so big and strong
but the minutes fly and the years roll by For a father and a son
And suddenly when it happened There was so much left unsaid
No second chance to tell him thanks For everything he's done
Oh I never will forget him, for he made me what I am
Though he may be gone, memories linger on
I miss him... my old man
You can Google this song and listen to it on the web. It is one of my favorites and I thank God for the memory of the man it reminds me of. I do pray that you will have a wonderful day and may God bless us all. Amen. .....More later.

No comments: