Thursday, June 5, 2008

The Slime Time Is Near!

It's Thursday already? I would hope most everyone would be able to applaud the fact that Senator Barak Obama, an African American, has won the nomination as the democratic candidate for president of these United States. This is an achievement that speaks volumes to the progress that has been made in our country where people do have the opportunity to participate in the educational system, and the economic engine of our society proving that anyone can grow up and become a prominent person in our land. Having said that, now let me add that I will not be voting for Senator Obama and my opposition has absolutely nothing to do with the color of his skin. I did vote once for Dr. Alan Keyes for president, a conservative African American, scholar, government leader, and prominent Christian. My world view by necessity must be shaped by my view of God's Word, therefore, I can only vote for those who I believe hold closest to the biblical perspective on life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

To be honest I am appalled by conservative blacks who are flocking in droves to the Obama camp. In the past they have always stood up and stood out in their communities because of their stand for family values, biblical principles, and an America that honors God, but now have jumped ship because of his being the first and best hope for a black man to become our president. I explained to a black preacher friend this would be the same as me voting for Senator Hillary Clinton only because she is white. One particular prominent conservative black pastor shocked me when he said after having weighed all the factors, Senator Obama was 'Christian' enough. Talk about racial profiling in reverse! But, that is their privilege and this is America, where each individual can vote their conscience or even not vote if and as they choose.

One of the things I have found that helps to keep me grounded is to pray back the Scriptures to God. My favorite passages to pray are found in the song book of Israel, the Psalms. In particular, I have adapted Psalm 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, and 150 for this purpose. (Takes about 5 minutes, can you spare a nickel's worth of your time?) These particular words help me because they focus on God and His greatness, His provisions, His goodness, His purposes, and His unfailing character. In 146, the Psalmist expresses a desire to keep himself from trusting in men, both in power and out, but to yield only to the God of Jacob as his source of help. When it comes down to it, that's how we should approach this coming election battle. I do not put my confidence in any of these candidates, although I will prayerfully seek God's direction in which one to vote for. I will not be distraught over who wins or loses because my hope, my trust, and my well being is in the hands of the Lord of Lords, and King of Kings. Yes, I will be concerned for my children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren, but not distraught or disabled! May we all keep this in mind as the mud slinging becomes an avalanche of slime and we wonder if and when it will come to an end. God is God now and He will be God then. Amen. ...More later.

No comments: