Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Something to Bite Into and Chew!

Wednesday. I'm trying to get my thoughts together for a lesson to the Bible study class tonight on the subject of God's sovereignty. One of the keys to even thinking about God is to admit early, often, and consistently how limited our understanding is and how that we must stay with what He has chosen to reveal to us through natural revelation but primarily through the written preserved texts of His Holy Word. Whenever my wife and I sing I often use the joke that while we've had a lot of requests, we've decided to sing anyway. Well, I have that same feeling of awesome dread when approaching this subject involving God's ultimate control over all things. But with His help, we are going to begin a series that will be continued over time since I share the Wednesday evening teaching responsibility with another man, a former pastor, and wonderful Bible expositor.

There's nothing like a subject so vast to get our attention so early in the morning. While I can't grasp but a glimpse and I can't comprehend all that God's power means in terms of the second by second ticking away of my life, I can tell you that I am totally dependent upon Him, His will, and His working to do what He has said He will do. When He says there is not a sparrow that falls that He is not specifically aware of, and then uses that illustration to inform us of His watchful care over His own, I don't know about you, but there's comfort, peace, and a sense of confidence that permeates my heart. This doesn't make painful situations go away or in many instances any less painful, but it does communicate to the essence of my being that He is aware, He does care, and His will is always best.

I suppose what brought up this subject was a phrase from a new song introduced to our congregation last Sunday. One line of that song said this: "We acknowledge Your sovereignty." That got me to thinking about what it means to acknowledge God's control over all things. We look around and see all the bad going on everywhere. We read the prayer requests coming over the email prayer hot line each day and we grieve with those who are suffering. We experience ongoing personal setbacks, difficulties, and challenges that seem to come out of nowhere. These are a part of the fabric of life. And, at times, dealing with all of this may cause us to wonder about God's sovereign control over all things. Yet, it is at these very times and in these very instances that we need to recognize how our God is still at work, still on His throne, and still moving to work out all things for the good of those who love Him, and are the called according to His purpose. (see Romans 8:28) I have some verses in mind for tonight but I can hardly wait to see how God will direct our thoughts as we seek to do the very thing that song said: ACKNOWLEDGE HIS SOVEREIGNTY. That would be a good thing for us all to do starting right now! Amen. More later.

No comments: