Friday, April 25, 2008

You Can't Make This Stuff Up!

Yesterday I wrote about all the vigorous activities involved in me trying to run as hard as I can (on a bad knee) to get everything done so I can be cleared for surgery next week. My wife said she thought the blog I wrote about it was very funny. I asked her if she saw anything there that was not true. She said as far as she knew it was all true and that’s what makes it funny. Life is funny. The things we have to do at times are funny. Everywhere you go there’s funny stuff going on.

I carried my wife out to eat on Wednesday evening for dinner to celebrate her birthday. If you read my blog that day you will remember it had a funny story about how older people begin to forget things. Hello? We used to patronize this restaurant fairly often. But, after being served our meal we both immediately remembered that last time we were there we promised never to come there again. But we had not remembered that when I suggested we go to that particular place. Guess what? She had the same place in mind! Is this a great life or what?

So the food wasn’t great. The service wasn’t great. But the entertainment was wonderful. No, they didn’t have a floorshow; I’m talking about the people who were sitting on both sides of us. One table had four folks about our age but they were all drinking martinis and we did hear some funny stories from that quartet. They giggled and laughed as they told about a variety of medical issues, treatments, and failed prescriptions. We also heard the details of having to endure a wedding out in Vegas of a daughter who married a long-haired, tattooed ‘all over’ young man. You would have had to been there but it was lively, some of it interesting, and to us, much of it funny.

On the other side there was a couple perhaps a little older than us but the man had a voice that you could hear out on the freeway. When the waitress (if that’s what they call them these days) asked him about his steak he gave her a lecture on the meat you can purchase at the local Kroger. He groused about most everything going on in and around him but he didn’t have to wonder if the manager out near the front door could hear him. Everyone could hear him! My wife wondered out loud how his wife could be anything other than horribly embarrassed. I told her that most likely it was one of those things that came with the package. At any rate, we actually had a wonderful time together, enjoying our conversations, punctuated by some real life funnies going on around us.

Once again we made a solemn pledge to remember to remember never to return to that particular place again. It used to be really great and we did enjoy talking about the memories from all the good times we had there with our kids growing up, and groups who had met there, along with it being a favorite of some of our friends. I suppose it was the good memories that caused us to set aside what we had previously concluded. In the end, we didn’t enjoy our meal but we will not soon forget the atmosphere because you really can’t make this stuff up, and that’s what makes it great! God bless you and yours. Enjoy your Saturday. Do your best to start the new week off by showing up at the gathering place to meet with God and other believers on Sunday. Then on Monday I’ll try to come up with something to share. In doing so I will do my best to be brief by remembering the question my grandfather often asked me, “Son, are you coming up for air anytime soon?” ……More later.

No comments: