Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Happy Birthday To A Woman of Distinction

Today is my wife’s birthday. King Solomon who had a lot of experience with wives was inspired to collect and publish wise sayings. Here is one from Proverbs 18:22 “He who finds a wife finds a good thing, And obtains favor from the LORD.” As we near our 44th year together this proverb has become a living reality. She is the real deal, period, end of story. This is not to say we have not had our ups and downs, challenges, and daunting threats, but all in all, it has been just what this verse says, our life together has reflected favor from the LORD.

I thank God for the huge difference she has made and continues to make in my life. This doesn’t mean we never have a spat or misunderstanding but as we have grown older together they have become less and less. Some might say maybe we are just too old to fight anymore but I believe it has something to do with spiritual maturity that comes only from above.

When younger guys ask me what it takes to have a healthy marriage, I hit them with the best advice I know. It comes, of course, from the Bible, and it just happens to be the verse that turned my life around as it relates to my responsibility towards this wonderful gift God has given to me. Here it is: “Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the Church and gave Himself for her…..” (Ephesians 5:25) Sadly, many hear this verse and think it impossible and reject it out of hand. They are partially right because it is impossible without God’s help, but very possible with His help. Why? Because it is His will.

While I often miss the mark, this is how I try to treat my wife, with God’s help. Because of her and what she means to me and so many others, I can, without any hesitation, rise up to call her blessed as well as a great blessing. (see Proverbs 31) As we continue our journey together I thought this funny story might reflect what we have to look forward to. And, we have already begun to see a preview of this now and then.

An older couple were having problems remembering things so they went to their doctor to get checked out. After examining them, the doctor told them they were physically okay but might want to start writing things down and make notes to help them remember. The couple thanked the doctor and left. Later that night while watching TV, the man got up from his chair and his wife asked, "Where are you going?" He replied, "To the kitchen." She asked, "Will you get me a bowl of ice cream?" He responded, "Sure." She then asked him, "Don't you think you should write it down so you can remember it?" He laughed, "No, I can remember that." She then added, "Well, I also would like some strawberries on top. You had better write that down cause I know you'll forget that." He responded, "I can remember that, you want a bowl of ice cream with strawberries." She then added, "Well, I also would like whip cream on top so I strongly suggest you write it all down." With irritation in his voice, he barked, "I don't need to write that down, I can remember it." He then fumed into the kitchen. After about 20 minutes he returned and handed her a plate of bacon and eggs. She stared at the plate for a moment and said, "I knew it, I knew it, you forgot my toast."

Thanks for being such a wonderful wife. Happy Birthday Sweetheart!

2 comments:

Camel Cigarettes said...

Yesterday I visited your blog and liked it very much! I have found a lot of really interesting and useful information there! The time I have spent reading was wonderful and I may say that you’ve done a great job! There are also wonderful photos! I’ve immediately added your blog to my favorite links and will enter it any time when in need of something positive. Thanks a lot!

Camel Cigarettes said...

Yesterday I visited your blog and liked it very much! I have found a lot of really interesting and useful information there! The time I have spent reading was wonderful and I may say that you’ve done a great job! There are also wonderful photos! I’ve immediately added your blog to my favorite links and will enter it any time when in need of something positive. Thanks a lot!