Thursday, April 24, 2008

Sweating With the Oldies!

It's a busy world after all. I am just about meeting myself coming back in my pursuit of getting ready for knee surgery next week. I'm not that sensitive about my age but if I hear how they need one more test because of being over 60, well, I might just explode. I've been under a doctor's care now for nearly a year with all the blood checking and medications but he has to do a pre-surgery physical which requires additional blood work and an office visit. In addition, they want a cardiac clearance which requires me to go to a heart doctor on Monday because I haven't had a heart work up in many years. For some reason I'm doing all this like there's no tomorrow because of my slot on next Thursday's surgery schedule. Is that the last time my doctor will ever do surgery again? At any rate, it has been somewhat frustrating because of all the running around I've been doing.

It may have all begun to go downhill whenever I visited the doctor last Tuesday. It was what they call a pre-op visit before the surgery. They started off with having me read a document that gave all the outcomes that might happen as a result of the surgery. Now I realize they have to cover themselves for liability reasons but what a way to start your day off! You might just die. Your knee may be worse than it is now. You could have a dozen or more complications. If someone accidentally sticks you with a bad needle you might have a good knee but leave the hospital with HIV/Aids. Here again, I know this is the legal stuff and the doctor made it clear these were not the outcomes they were expecting, but it does cause one to pause and think about the process itself.

They had me do a chest x-ray. Later in the day the nurse called me and asked me if I was a tobacco user. Okay, let me see if I've got this? I had a chest x-ray and they are calling about my smoking habits? So, I nervously asked if it had anything to do with the x-ray. She said yes, but not for what I might have been thinking. She went on to say the people who were to read the x-ray somehow messed up the film but since I had not smoked in over 40 years, they were not going to ask me to come back in and redo the x-ray. This is 2008 and they can still mess up the film of a chest x-ray? I thought they used computers to do all this these days. Oh well, go figure.

I had no idea when I flipped off that platform back in February that trying to put Humpty back together again would end up being so draining. Phone calls are flying forth and back. Schedules are being checked and rechecked. Reminders are coming in from places I've never been before. Why? I'm not on the roster for a sport's team at the moment but they are treating me like a prized athlete or so it seems. My wife wants me to get all this done because she knows the pain I'm in plus she's already scheduled to be off that day. My surgeon wants me to do it because I'm probably number 12 on his quota list for that day and he has his heart set on getting that new Ferrari this year. I'm just joking. I'm thankful for all that others are doing to help deal with my torn lateral and medial meniscus. I thought I would throw that in just to show you I am paying attention. Have a great Thursday and always remember that God is in control of all things including the small stuff, therefore, I would be much better off not sweating it! ......More later.

No comments: