Friday, April 18, 2008

TGIF, Every Single Day!

I noticed some really neat TGIF emblems among the usual happy hour oriented ones that this acronym typically denotes. I suppose the first TGIF I should mention reflects the message from the song "Amazing Grace." I once was lost but now I’m found, Thank God I’m Found (TGIF). This leads to Thank God I’m Forgiven (TGIF) and of course the only way that can be true is because of what Jesus did for us, Thank God It’s Finished (TGIF). But having TGIF mean this to us everyday requires us to Thank God I’m Filled (TGIF) because that’s what He does. He fills us up with Himself and we are able to live in victory because of Him.

We can go about life with a sense of confidence because He cares and Thank God I’m Favored (TIGF); favored as His very own child, one who is precious in His sight. Having received forgiveness and a new life we can agree with the old country Gospel song that says "He Set Me Free", therefore, we can also live in the triumph of Thank God I’m Free (TGIF). Someday this life here will give way to a life forever in His presence where we will experience the reality of Thank God I’m Forever (TGIF).

Okay, okay, enough already, I think we all have it by now. Perhaps I should stop before I press on to saying things like Thank God I’m Fantastic (TGIF) or Thank God I’m Famous (TGIF) which would not be correct on either count. All of this may sound a little silly but we really do have much to be thankful for as a child of God. Sure, we have our ups and downs, and we go through times when our laughter becomes tears, however, even in our times of sorrow we can find grace because of who we are in Christ.

One of the things I’ve noticed over the past several years is the huge growth in the sheer number of folks who do seem to mostly live their lives from TGIF to TGIF, meaning the drinking and party time that begins on Friday evenings. They spend much of their week planning the next party with very little thought about their position before God or their eternal destiny. It’s tragically ironic that God’s name would ever become associated with a preparation for something so empty and superficial. I’ll take the happiness that comes from the peace of God any day over the temporary escape coming from the two drinks for the price of one at happy hour. And, let me be very clear that I don’t in any way whatsoever look down on those who are caught in this vortex because were it not for God and His grace we would all be without hope. Next time you hear the term TGIF at least you will now have a few alternatives to consider. Meanwhile, have a great Saturday and Sunday and Lord willing I’ll be here knocking around the blogosphere early next Monday. May God bless. Amen. ……More later.

No comments: