Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Surrounded By Peace

My wife mentioned to me that she has noticed that some of the good preachers she watches on television or listens to on radio are beginning to spend more time asking for donations. She figures that with gasoline prices sky-high and the other uncertainties regarding the economy, these types of ministries may be the first to feel the pinch. I will have to admit that I had not thought about it like she did and I thought her insight was very perceptive.

These are some apprehensive times we are presently living in. In fact, this past Sunday one of the faithful brothers in our local congregation mentioned to me that he was very much of the belief that things are winding down with our Lord to soon return. He said he sensed this as he looked around at all the happenings here in our own country and around the world. I was on my way to the choir room so I didn’t have time to flesh out the details of what he was saying, but it was a sobering conversation.

I visited for over an hour with a local pastor friend on the telephone the other night and in passing I found myself saying the following words: “We have a baptism coming up for two more of our grandchildren, and we also have our twins who will soon be starting their new believer classes. I have this great desire to see all my children and grandchildren saved and ready for heaven before God calls me home.” I hadn’t really thought about what I was saying when I said it, but later it hit me because there’s a sense of urgency stirring within me regarding this matter of reaching our family for Christ.

We all know that while we sing songs about being faithful in the good times and the bad, it typically is somewhat easier when things are going pretty well, at least as it pertains to our personal well being. It’s much tougher when troubles seem to surround us, and we have setbacks, our plans falter, and we are faced with unexpected difficult news. Right now everyone seems uneasy about financial security, the direction of our nation, and what it will ultimately mean to us as individuals, and to our children and grandchildren.

I know God would have us to realize that while our government may miss the mark, and companies may fail to prosper, families may struggle, and health may not be the best, He remains Sovereign, Faithful, and He is never surprised about any and all things that happen. He is eternal; therefore, He already exists in our tomorrows, our next weeks, and in our futures. He cares and He will take care of His own. It may not be on our timetable or in the way we would prefer but we can always count on our God to do right according to His perfect will.

While some talk about a recession that may become a depression before we are done, you and I who are believers need to walk by faith and not by sight. Jesus said that many if not most live every day grasping for all they can get hold of in what this world has to offer. In stark contrast He instructed His own to seek first His kingdom and allow His Father to take care of all the needs they have. I readily admit this is much easier to read and even teach than it is to live, but remember that God does His greatest work whenever He shows Himself to be mighty in our weaknesses, as we trust Him. The song says that God is still the same God whether on the mountaintop or down in the deepest and darkest valley. Because of this we can have assurance and hope even when the world becomes wobbly with panic and uncertainty. It is my prayer that we would all experience the peace that comes only from our Savior. It is called a peace that goes beyond understanding. That’s the kind of peace we need in the midst of the storms of life. Amen. ……..More later.

No comments: