Friday, April 4, 2008

PGIF - Praise God, It's Friday!

I had the MRI done on my knee last night and now await the results. The place where I went to have it done was a little eerie. You know by now I am a visual person and when I arrived at Suite 100, I immediately sensed that this particular location had previously been a funeral home. Now that may be a morbid thought for you on a Friday morning but I do speak the truth here. The carpet, the overstuffed sofas, the lighting, the other furnishings, along with that unique smell, made me wonder if I was in the right place. And, I could have sworn the little old lady receptionist patted my hand as she shook it, just like they do at that place we would rather not think about on a Friday. The only thing missing was one of those organ tapes playing in the background that's been used so much it drags just enough to irritate you. While the technician was doing the MRI she gave me some earphones and I asked her to set the radio to a local Christian station. The program on was Grace to You, featuring Dr. John MacArthur and I do love his teaching but could only pick up bits and pieces since the MRI was rocking and knocking so loud. Oh well, another day and another challenge. The entire procedure was only twenty minutes BUT I'm one of those people who have much trouble being confined or restricted in any way. Being still for 20 minutes shouldn't be that big of a deal to anyone. BUT it is to me. Thankfully, I made it without causing too much of a ruckus and now I'm ready to begin a brand new day.

This past week has been one of those where I have had way too much on my plate and today it is showing. My granddad used to tell me not to let my eyes be bigger than my stomach when I was loading up my plate at the supper table. He meant I would be expected to eat it if I put it on my plate. Well, that's what I have been doing this week. Trying to eat the 'way too much' I put on my schedule plate for this week. The sad thing is how busy I have been all week, heads down, 15 to 18 hours a day, but still know of so many other really needful things I haven't been able to do. Now let's see if I can figure out a way to let myself get down and gloomy about all of this.

Well, I have this diabetes problem, and the medications have their side affects, I am functioning on a busted knee and it hurts all the time, and there's the unending demands from work, family, ministry, and all of the above that keep me strung as tight as a tuned up Stradivarius. OR; I have diabetes but it is being controlled by breakthrough medications only dreamed about a few years ago, I am able to get up and go each day, make contributions to the company I work for, participate in ministries like the inner city Bible club, Wednesday evening Bible study, and give out advice and counsel to many who seek my help. Am I beat down or am I blessed? Hey, it's not even close. I am blessed and that's what makes this day, not a TGIF as if I'm ready to explode but a PGIF because of His great goodness and provisions into my life.

Sure, burning the candle at both ends and also in the middle can become wearisome. But God is faithful and He gives us grace to carry on. Instead of the pity party that my flesh wants to have, how about a praise party that reflects upon the reality of God's presence and His working in my life? Don't get the idea that I never let stuff get to me because I do. At the same time I am thankful that often God reminds me through a variety of ways that He is still there, He is still God, and He is on my side, and will never leave me, never forsake me, and He will accomplish His purpose in my life as I yield myself to Him. My little sister who died from leukemia at age 27 took the Gaither song which says, because He lives I can face tomorrow, and changed it into a Kayla song which said this: because He lives I can face today! She was right! Amen. Have a great Saturday and may God help us all to find ourselves worshipping Him with other believers on Sunday! That's why we call it 'The Lord's Day!' .....More later.

No comments: