Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Showers of Blessings!

After my six hour marathon trek from doctor to doctor and having been shot full of radioactive material for photos, to the extent the North Koreans have sent word they want to talk to me, and after a full and complete physical examination, plus having been given a chemical that caused my heart to mimic Lance Armstrong at full speed on his bicycle, I finally limped back to the office and tried to catch my breath. Now it’s all up to the networking sign off’s of the variety of co-conspirators who will determine whether I qualify to have holes drilled into my knee or not. Therefore, I am in a wait and see mode at this time.

Meanwhile, I cannot help but think about this important day for me and for my family. It was back in 1968 on this very day that our middle son was born. He was a tiny, little spindly fellow who had the olive complexion previously worn by my wife’s folks who carried some American Indian in their bloodline. When he was still a very small baby he had some serious challenges and as an infant we had to put him in the hospital due to dehydration. There he was in the middle of a regular hospital bed with an IV connected to his thigh. Granny Mac was there with us and she kept her walking cane nearby just in case anyone stepped out of line. She always had a way of letting her presence be known.

That was how it all started. Since that time, his life has been anything but easy with many health challenges and the emotional stresses that try men’s souls. Today, he has committed himself to seeing his life count as a husband, dad, and child of God. We, as his parents, have never stopped praying for all of our children, literally, day and night. We can only thank God for Jimmy’s progress and his desire to see God work in his life. This is what parents live for and this is what we believe our calling is, to hand down our faith, our example, and even the lessons we have learned through our own difficulties, that God might be honored in the family He has blessed us with. Happy 40th Birthday and may God bless our Jimmy Don Sr.

Today also marks the 15th anniversary of my last day working with the Big Company. That was a life changing experience for us all. Many have commented over the years that perhaps this was a huge mistake on my part. And, they may be right but it really is too late to change it and given the situation as I saw it then, I know that God has brought us to where we are today and I thank Him that I am not the person I was then. Does that mean I’ve done everything better since leaving that environment? Hardly. But it does mean that He has helped me see things through the lens of truth and because of that I can see how much I’ve changed as a result. I look back on that 24-year period of my life with great fondness, especially as I recall the remarkable people who helped me to succeed beyond my wildest dreams. Thank God for His provisions infused into our lives! Amen.

I should hear sometime this morning about what I will be doing tomorrow, surgery or not. Thus far, the only calls I have been getting lately have been from the various specialties regarding my part of the payment process. This reminds me of when our youngest was born in the large metro hospital. Our other two had been born in rural hospitals in Louisiana. The small hospital approach was very different. When I went to fetch my wife and newborn son I was instructed to go to the cashier’s office. There they presented me with a bill for the amount they estimated between what my insurance would pay versus what I would owe. Hello? I didn’t know this was how it was going to work. I told them I didn’t even have my checkbook. They asked me what bank, I told them, and they immediately produced a counter check from my bank. Welcome to a brand new world and even more so today! But thank God He has provided the means for me to take care of this current need but it’s still interesting as I work my way through the process. Thanks to all who read my blog. The other day I received a note from someone who accidentally landed on my blog who had been blessed in a positive way from whatever it was I was ranting and raving about that day. Here's the way I see it: You can never go wrong if you include God’s truth and that’s one of the things I do try to do each day! ….More later.

No comments: