Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Stumbling Out of the Gate!

Okay, I try not to fall into the pessimist category. In fact, it pretty much is impossible for those of us who trust God completely to be pessimistic in our outlook. That certainly doesn't mean we will not have some troublesome days. That old idiom that says 'I got up on the wrong side of the bed.' may be working on me this morning. Before leaving the house I had to make several trips upstairs to finally get whatever it was I went up there for. When I stopped for gas I decided to clean the windshields and when I applied the water it mostly turned into a mud ball. Therefore, I had to keep piling on the water and finally was able to get it moving enough to scrape it off. The car was washed last Saturday. Exasperating.

I made it to work a couple of minutes after 5 a.m., because of the trauma at the gas pump, and tried to hit the ground running and connect into my regular routine. Today is an oatmeal with raisins day. I put the coffee on, mixed my oatmeal, and put it into the microwave. Once the oatmeal was finished I put some of that imitation sweetener on it and stirred it with a little milk. The first bite was a little warm and what did I do? Bit what seemed like a sizable chunk out of my tongue. Sweet! Then when I went to pour my coffee I noticed the filter had collapsed on one side so I have grounds in my first cup of wake up juice.

Well, I am off to a great start. I can hardly wait to see what will be happening when I get to the doctor's office at 8 a.m., that is, if I make it. Only kidding. I will admit these aggravations did cause me to flush a little with a flash of anger. Why? Like the Apostle Paul in Romans chapter 7, I have to admit that I'm still in the flesh and I have not arrived or achieved perfection yet. I do know as I sit here thinking about these inconveniences how really small they are compared to the great challenges faced by so many. I told you before that He is still working on me and I also know that I can be a handful at times.

My wife has been looking for a particular video tape the last few days. We went through that camcorder phase when our eldest granddaughter was born. We probably have 100 VHS tapes scattered here and there. In her searching she discovered one of the first ones we made back in 1988. When I came home she wanted me to watch it. Okay, lets just say that many things change over a twenty year span. I couldn't believe how young the two of us looked. No wonder people were surprised to learn we were grandparents. Two of our boys were still at home and they showed themselves to be typical teenagers. I did notice that we had about the same number of pictures in our family room as we do now. Only one difference. They are all of the same child! That same child will say goodbye to her teens and become a twenty year old this week. Watching how we fawned over her in that video brought back so many precious memories.

Time gets away from us but we don't have to have our day defined by muddy windshields, a sore tongue, or failed coffee filter. We are who we are in Christ and because of Him, we can have confidence and live in spite of the ups and downs we have to deal with. Last night in our inner city Bible club, the verse the children memorized was from Deuteronomy 32:4 "He is the Rock, His work is perfect; For all His ways are justice, A God of truth and without injustice; Righteous and upright is He." The lesson dealt with how we often feel picked on and even may believe that God is unfair. But He is always consistent with His Perfect Character and that's a lesson I should have remembered when I bit my tongue! Three steps forward and two back! Have a great day and know that God is at work even in the irritations that come our way. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: