Monday, March 17, 2008

What List Is Your Name On?

Here’s an interesting list of names: George W. Bush, Bill Clinton, Mean Joe Greene, Barry Manilow, Priscilla Presley, Ozzy Osborne, Sylvester Stallone, Donald Trump, Susan Sarandon, Connie Chung, Reggie Jackson, Dolly Parton, and Sally Field. These people all have an indisputable common connection. They are all members of the very first class of the baby boomer generation, born in 1946. They are listed along with about fifty other folks as being the most famous of those born in this particular year.

The others on the list are what you might expect. They are movie stars, media personalities, singers, athletes, and other recognized professional types. This list did not include folks who have made contributions in the fields of research, science, and other academic pursuits. These can be found in a more comprehensive list found on the Wikipedia website, (Category: 1946 births). That listing of important people born in 1946 makes up 200 pages. The fact that we have two presidents born in the same year is not unprecedented in American History. It has happened a total of five times and the most recent before our current duo of Bush and Clinton, was Bush Sr. and Jimmy Carter, both born in 1924.

Why am I looking at these folks in my blog today? Because I am also a member of this first class and my name along with millions of others do not appear on any list of those most recognizable or most famous. I suppose this could be intimidating, but in reality, we all live out the life God has given to us, and with His help, we accomplish what we are able to accomplish, hopefully, for His honor and glory. One of the first things I am reminded of is the most important list ever known since creation or before, referred to in the Scriptures as the Lamb’s Book of Life. (Read it for yourself: Philippians 4:13; The Revelation 3:5; 13:8; 17:8; 20:15; 21:17; and 22:19) It’s the list of those who are going to spend eternity in the presence of God. There will be no distinctions regarding earthly fame or fortune on that list, only those who have put their faith in God. Therefore, I can be forever thankful that I know that I know my name is on that List. Some say you have to wait to know, and hope for the best. I’m thankful that God accepted me based on my faith in His provision through His Son, therefore, I’m not hoping for the best, I’m only waiting for that day whenever I enter into His presence.

As it relates to being proud of what you have accomplished in the life God has given to you, there’s a famous passage from Jeremiah, the 9th Chapter that gives some really great insight into how we should view any and all we are able to do: 23)Thus says the LORD: "Let not the wise [man] glory in his wisdom, Let not the mighty [man] glory in his might, Nor let the rich [man] glory in his riches; 24) But let him who glories glory in this, That he understands and knows Me, That I [am] the LORD, exercising lovingkindness, judgment, and righteousness in the earth. For in these I delight," says the LORD.

I can’t speak for the people on that most famous list but I do know that I have been blessed beyond measure. I was privileged to grow up in a home that honored God. I had role models like my mom, my grandmother, and my granddad to follow. I married a godly woman and she is a blessing beyond my dreams. I have three boys and they have their wives, and we have our entourage of grandchildren who bring joy into our daily living. I have been gifted by God and placed in a position of teaching His word. I have been able to lead others to Christ, share the Scriptures with them, and see them confess Him, which puts their name on that list in the Book of Life.

Let me be very clear, I’ve known my fair share of heartache and pain, much of it brought on by my own choices. Yet, God never gave up on me. Why? Because I am His child and He will never leave or forsake His own. Yeah, I would love some ‘do-overs’ in the life I’ve had and I’m quite sure most folks would, however, I am eternally grateful for who I am in Christ, and for all that He has allowed me to experience up to this time. Some say we all reach certain times in our life where we wonder if our life has counted for anything. That is a natural part of observing milestones as we grow older. But, when it is all said and done, if we have been faithful within the realm that He has given to us, we can anticipate hearing Him say, “Well done, good and faithful servant, enter now into your rest.” (Matthew 25:21) That’s enough to keep me focused and I do hope it will be an encouragement to you as well. I admit it’s a long one today and we didn’t even see it coming! Have a great week and may God bless. ….More later.

No comments: