Tuesday, March 18, 2008

MiMi & Poppy Go To See 'Horton Hears A Who!'

My wife was on vacation last week and she had a very busy week. She enjoyed visiting with some of her close friends from Church, she had luncheons to attend, dinner invitations, and she also spent some time chasing our grandson, Alex. Exercise, who needs exercise when you have a 2 ½ year old to keep you moving? Her big objective for the week was to finish redoing one of the bedrooms upstairs which will become her office. It used to be my office but when the tree came through the roof I had to relocate into her office. It has been a work in progress for over a year. (The tree story will have to wait for another day.)

Because my old office sits on top of our downstairs bedroom, she never wanted me to go up there until after she was awake because even when I did my very best to be quiet she could still hear my chair, my keyboard, or other squeaking sounds, and it would keep her awake. Therefore, since I am an early person, we are talking 4 a.m., and since I need to be able to be in my office that early, especially on Saturday and Sunday to work on my Bible study lessons and other related items, we, (she), us, determined it was best for her to move into my old office which allows me to stay in her office, (soon to be my office), and not disturb her beauty rest.

At any rate, she worked very hard throughout the week as best she could on the re-work of that room and found herself late in the week not having finished it. She was very tired and frustrated. I could see this coming but my feeling was since it was her week off, it was not my business to interfere with how she used her time. Meanwhile, my week was fairly routine. I did my 60 regular hours at my job. I worked up a lesson and taught it on Wednesday evening. I put together a Bible study lesson and a sermon for the African American mission where I covered for their pastor this past Sunday.

On Saturday she announced that we should do something, together. We should? She said she knew that I was perfectly happy if we never went anywhere but she wanted us to do something, together. I had plenty of things already stacked up on my mental plate but I was agreeable to try and find something for us to do, together. I looked on the computer and found some of the usual suspects like museums, parks, and things like that. None of them appealed to her so we decided to look for a movie. I read about the movies showing in our area and concluded most of them were not suitable for viewing except for the new animated film, ‘Horton Hears A Who!’. I told her about my findings and we decided to go and see this movie. We were the only ones there with no little ones but I very much enjoyed this film. Can you spell s-e-n-i-l-i-t-y?

After seeing the movie we drove across town and met up with our eldest son and his family for a late lunch. We enjoyed our time together at the barbecue joint but my wife had some smoked sausage that later brought on a bout with food poisoning that disabled her all of Saturday night and Sunday. I had planned on her going with me to the mission services because she can play the piano or organ, and we usually sing a song together. Instead, she spent most of Sunday in bed. On Monday, it was a return to the grind for her and I told her to be sure and not tell anyone she was feeling bad on her vacation because my experience tells me that most people aren’t interested in hearing about it.

I did put forth an effort for us to do something together and there was something about her choice at lunch that bothered me, but she just had to have that smoked sausage. (Just so you know, I had a salad.) At least we, (mostly me), enjoyed the movie. Our eldest son said we should have carried a child’s cap and jacket. That way most people would think we had a kid there, somewhere. My wife said she did feel a little out of place. Give me a break. We paid our $12.00 and it’s a free country. If we want to go and sit through a G-rated film made strictly for children, so what? But that was the week that was, and now we are off to new adventures wherever we can find them! Do we lead exciting lives or what? Have a great week leading up to Resurrection Sunday! Amen. …….More later.

No comments: