Friday, March 14, 2008

No Captions Needed

We are visual by design. We have been given the ability to see images and those images conjure up thoughts, ideas, and emotions. Science tells us that most people remember things they see better than things they read or hear. While the Bible does not come with pictures, it does contain very clear and vivid portrayals of people in the conduct of their lives and how they related to their circumstances and the God who created them. Jesus was the greatest teacher who ever walked on earth and He used word pictures to illustrate His teaching points.

Here's what Wikipedia has to say about the impact of images and the message they convey: A picture is worth a thousand words is a proverb that refers to the idea that complex stories can be described with just a single still image, or that an image may be more influential than a substantial amount of text. It also aptly characterizes the goals of visualization where large amounts of data must be absorbed quickly. It is believed that the modern use of the phrase stems from an article by Fred R. Barnard in the advertising trade journal Printers' Ink, promoting the use of images in advertisements that appeared on the sides of streetcars. The December 8, 1921 issue carries an ad entitled, "One Look is Worth A Thousand Words." Another ad by Barnard appears in the March 10, 1927 issue with the phrase "One Picture is Worth Ten Thousand Words," where it is labelled a Chinese proverb. The Home Book of Proverbs, Maxims, and Familiar Phrases quotes Barnard as saying he called it "a Chinese proverb, so that people would take it seriously." Soon after, the proverb would become popularly attributed to Confucius. Despite this modern origin of the popular phrase, the sentiment has been expressed by earlier writers. For example the Russian writer Ivan Turgenev wrote (in Fathers and Sons in 1862), "A picture shows me at a glance what it takes dozens of pages of a book to expound." The quote is sometimes attributed to Napoleon Bonaparte, who said "Un bon croquis vaut mieux qu'un long discours," or "A good sketch is better than a long speech". While this is sometimes translated today as "A picture is worth a thousand words," this translation may not predate the phrase's common use in English. The phrase has been spoofed by John McCarthy, the famous computer scientist, to make the opposite point: "As the Chinese say, 1001 words is worth more than a picture."

Not every image means the same thing to every person. Some I am including today will be very obvious to those who lived during the times they were made. However, that's what I believe to be so amazing about God's gift of a life created in His own image. We do have this ability to think, appreciate, formulate, and respond to stories, reports, images, and other stimuli. In looking at literally hundreds of thousands of images from all over the world during my sojourn here, there are threads that connect us all in an undeniable way. People are people no matter the color of their skin or their status in life. Children are for the most part innocent no matter where they live. People cry when they hurt both physically and emotionally. People love their families and they desire to live their lives in peace.

However, people also need to know the God who created them. Jesus told one of His powerful word picture stories when He spoke about someone who could gain everything in the world but end up losing their own soul. As I surf the web and see folks from every nation and in every status in life imaginable, I often think about our calling to reach them with the Gospel, the good news, that God loves them and His Son came and died for them, and resurrected, and is alive today, and calling them to Himself. Many photos, paintings, sketches, or other visual representations need no captions but everyone needs Jesus.

My granddad used to say that I often acted like every day I woke up in a new world. He said that because I wasn't always doing things like I should as if I didn't remember what it was I should be doing. But in many ways he was right. If I had to define my approach to the life God has given to me, I can't think of a better way. It's like today's blog. I didn't have a clue until I had a clue, and what you see is what I grabbed hold of this morning as I woke up in my brand new world. I've always said that being me and working without a net is not for the faint hearted. But, guess what? You likely have your own approach to life and it too is how God has put you together. Embrace it and use it for His honor and glory. Amen. Have a great upcoming Saturday and Sunday and know that I will most likely be just as surprised as you with what might be coming up on my blog for Monday! May God bless you and yours. ........More later.

No comments: