Tuesday, March 4, 2008

God First, Everything Else Can Wait!

Do you ever feel like you are one of those little creatures on a exercise wheel inside a cage? Life itself can become that way if we become so busy that the activities we pursue end up being the outcomes we desire. Perspective and priority are keys to making wise use of our time. The Apostle Paul knew that being overly busy even in doing good could become wearisome. He in two different places advised against this becoming weary in doing good but said that we should maintain a focus on doing what we do from our heart in keeping our eyes on God as our ultimate reason for why we do what we do.

There's a good tired and there's a bad tired and there's that ugliest of all, just tired, tired. I hear all of this being discussed in our Church as people attempt to juggle their lives around all the commitments they have. I do realize that our children need to be involved in a variety of activities to help develop them into well rounded people. However, there will always be a need for priorities in the choices we make. I know I am old fashioned and many would think also backwards in some of my ideas, but I must tell you that during my lifetime there has been a huge shift away from God, the things of God, and His Church as the first priority in the lives of those who are called by His name.

Even within the realm of people who are called out and separated by God through His Son, we find the majority attempting to somehow find a place for God and His Church within their busy schedules. Okay. That, my friend, in the long run will not work, period, end of story. No, you cannot have it all because if and when we understand who God is and our relationship to Him, we could never, ever, under any circumstances give Him any other place except that which He deserves, first in all things. As I hear these discussions forth and back it sounds like God is just another entity vying for a slot in our Daytimer. As Bro. James told his flock in the first letter preserved in the New Testament, "Brothers and sisters, this should not be the way it works!" (my paraphrase)

I am aware that some can become slaves to Church activities in the same way they are to other outside things but that's a different issue for a different day. My thoughts are that within the context of living out our lives in a way that pleases God and demonstrates this to others, we should fix our hearts on whatever it takes to put Him first in all things. God comes first. Everything else fits after making this commitment the ruling deciding factor in how we organize and schedule our time. But that sounds legalistic, doesn't it? I certainly hope not because the day we believe that setting aside any and all things in order to put God first is an empty ritual, we are headed for trouble.

I guess I woke up today wondering how I could put a huge heavy load on everyone. Not really. I believe just the opposite. Because I see people all around our fellowship who are constantly conflicted and harried as they attempt to juggle all the stuff that is crying out for their attention, deciding to decide to put God first in all things brings freedom, not bondage. How? While I didn't say it would be easy, it does simplify everything else since it must all either fit beneath, behind, or be eliminated if it conflicts with this commitment. The other neat thing is that God will respond when we do life His way. He may let us thrash some as we grow some muscle needed to build our resolve, but He is always faithful to those who put Him first. Easy? It's never easy to do the right thing but whenever it involves something as crucial as our faithfulness to God, it will always be worth it! Amen. ........More later.

No comments: