Friday, March 7, 2008

Fun Friday

Okay, I will admit that my blogs at times can be a little on the serious side. I also know they can be rather long and while I really do regret some think this, but perhaps a little boring. There's a proverb in the Bible that says even an ignorant person is not recognized as such until he opens his mouth. That brings up a good question. If I can at times be tedious, long, and perhaps boring, why blog? To that I would reply, why not? I'm not denying all of those thoughts about some of what I write but at the same time I can for the most part say that what I write is who I am, therefore, I am exposing myself and would have to confess that I'm basically the person one sees in the blogs I write.

But today I am going to take a time out and do my best to make you smile. I have always been told even as a child that I am too serious. I tell folks sometimes they need to be me in the life that God saw fit to give our family and they might also tend to be serious. However, this is not all there is to me. I love to laugh. I enjoy a good joke. In fact, my wife and I laugh quite often as we think about and deal with all the things that happen in our life together. My sense of humor may not be like yours and I've often seen cartoons, read punch lines, or heard a joke that was hilarious to me but not so funny to others. We are all put together differently but it does do us good to be able to smile and bask in the life God has allowed us to enjoy.

Mrs. Smith’s elderly husband didn't feel well so she took him to the doctor. After examining Mr. Smith, the doctor asked him to go to the waiting room and send his wife in. The doctor then had this to say, "Mrs. Smith, I’m sorry to tell you that your husband is going to die." Mrs. Smith responded, "Doctor is there anything I can do to help extend his life?" He then said, "Well there are some things you could do: First, you could cook him a wonderful dinner every night. Second, you could give him a nice back rub every night. Third, you could devote your life to doing your best to wait on him, hand and foot." Mrs. Smith indicated that she understood. On their way home Mr. Smith asked his wife what the doctor told her. To this Mrs. Smith replied, "I’m so sorry honey but soon you are going to die."

Billy's father picked him up from school one day. Knowing the acting roles for the school play were being posted that day, he asked Billy if he got a part. Billy enthusiastically announced that he'd gotten a part. "I play a man who's been married for twenty years." "That's great, son. Keep up the good work and before you know it they'll be giving you a speaking part."

Two fellas are fishing in a boat under a bridge. One looks up and sees a funeral procession starting across the bridge. He stands up, takes off his cap, and bows his head. The procession crosses the bridge and the man puts on his cap, picks up his rod and reel, and continues fishing. The other guy says, "That was touching. I didn't know you had it in you." The first guy responds, "Well, I guess it was the thing to do - after all, I was married to her for 40 years."

Okay these are pretty clumsy but that's the best I could do for a Friday morning. Notice that jokes that make us smile typically involve something about real life situations. The ones I used all play off of the themes of husbands and wives. Hopefully, we can laugh at these because they do not reflect our attitudes about our mates. Funny illustrations help communicate extremes but we all know that God has a plan for us as people and it does include joyfulness. I think had we been travelling around with Jesus during His earthly ministry we would have heard His wholesome laughter on many occasions. A good sense of humor typically begins by being able to laugh at one's self. I just wish I didn't give myself so much material to work with because no one will ever know all the things I find myself doing that make me laugh.

It's Friday, if God gives us tomorrow, it will be the end of the week, Saturday. It's also time change weekend. That dreaded one where you spring forward your clocks by one hour. Thus far, we have missed only one time change in our forty three years together. It was in the early 1970's and I can still remember driving into the parking lot of our Church property and wondering how it could be that so many people would be there so early. I was still puzzling over this strange 'Twilight Zone' feeling but when we walked into the building I immediately saw those looks that said very loudly we know what you did. That was pretty tough on me because it happened during that phase of my life when I was mostly right about everything. If I had to guess, I most likely blamed my wife. By the way, I've learned that I am not mostly right about everything and I do often miss the mark. Therefore, I put you on notice to save you the embarrassment of showing up late at the Sunday meeting place to begin your week with your fellow brothers and sisters in Christ. Enjoy your Friday and may God bless us all! Amen. .....More later.

No comments: