Monday, March 31, 2008

Celebrating God's Provisions!

Yesterday our local assembly of believers celebrated 25 years as an established, organized local Church. What a day it was! My family actually joined this faith community when it was a mission supported by another Church. That was back in December of 1976. We were also there the day we moved from mission status to being an independent local body of believers in March of 1983. As they say back home, a lot of water has flowed under the bridge since then. A Church family is not unlike a regular family in the sense that one experiences all the ups and downs associated with family life. I can remember some of the most wonderful mountain top experiences enjoyed as a family of faith and I can also recall some great challenges and difficult times as folks dealt with trials, troubles, and at times, great sorrow.

Churches are not buildings or properties. Churches are made up of people who covenant together to function and operate as closely to the New Testament model under the leadership of the Head of the Church, our Lord Jesus Christ. Yesterday as we walked down memory lane and as people pointed out some of the photos of me and my family in the late 1970's, I began to remember those who had made such great contributions to my life. The Senior Pastor of the sponsoring Church when we were a mission effort was a huge burly man who was very direct and to the point in his words. He had taught at seminary and was a recognized man of ability and knowledge. However, you could not be around him without seeing a heart and love for reaching people with the message of Christ which was also huge and burly. I became very close to him and his wife and learned so much about the sacrifice, blood, sweat, and tears behind leading a Church known for planting mission works that would become self supporting Churches later.

The mission pastor who was serving when we joined was a wonderful fit for getting a Church started. He was a nuts and bolts type of leader who did it the old fashioned way, knocking doors, and witnessing to people wherever we found them. While he would never have called himself a Bible scholar, I don't believe I ever saw anyone who loved the study of God's Word more than he did. Because of his example I changed my view of what it means to prepare lessons and deliver God's message to those in the different classes I have taught over the years.

One of the photo boards in the history room prepared for yesterday's celebration featured the many beloved saints associated with our fellowship who have gone on to their reward. I didn't have to see the pictures to know the influence and impact many of these folks had on my life. At one time I had a half dozen older ladies in the Bible study class I taught. They were phenomenal encouragers and they took in the teaching and always came prepared for the study. They would tell me how they prayed for me during the week that God would give me the truth He wanted shared in our class. Wow! I often thought they should lighten up some since how could I even think about not giving my all to seeking God's direction when so many were praying and preparing for the lesson?

We were there when babies were born that now are teaching classes. We were there at home going celebrations where the tears flowed freely but because of the truth we could say 'so long for now' instead of goodbye. We have enjoyed the privilege of being a part of God's plan and purpose through this local body of believers. We recognize so many who helped our boys as they made their way in life. We thank God for the current members, many new, some even as recent as yesterday, but all a part of God's way of conducting His activities here on the planet. There's one particular photo of me, my wife, and our three boys from back in 1978. It is featured in all the power point presentations. I looked like I was trying out for the 'Grizzly Adams' role and many get a great kick out of that photo. Fortunately, we grow, we change, and with God's help we are not what we were 32 years ago, or even last week, or yesterday. The song written by Joel Hemphill which has mostly become a children's song really does give the message to us all of what God has done in our life, for me, through the local ministry of this fellowship of believers, and it speaks of what He's still doing, and how that He will continue to mold and shape me until the day I am called home.

He's Still Working On Me

Verse 1. There really ought to be a sign upon the heart, Don't judge her yet, there's an unfinished part. But I'll be perfect just according to His plan Fashioned by the Master's loving hands.

CHORUS:
He's still working on me to make me what I ought to be.It took Him just a week to make the moon and stars,The sun and the earth and Jupiter and Mars.How loving and patient He must be, He's still working on me.

Verse 2. In the mirror of His Word reflections that I see Make me wonder why He never gave up on me. He loves me as I am and helps me when I pray Remember He's the Potter, I'm the clay.

CHORUS:
He's still working on me to make me what I ought to be.It took Him just a week to make the moon and stars,The sun and the earth and Jupiter and Mars.How loving and patient He must be, He's still working on me.

What a day we had and what a day it will be whenever we all get to heaven. Our days of remembering and reunion here are truly a foretaste of what's to come. Don't know about you, but I am so looking forward to that Day! Have a great week and know that God is Sovereign, therefore, we can have confidence in Him. Amen. .....More later.







No comments: