Wednesday, March 19, 2008

It's Best To Keep A Divine Appointment

This is not the blog I had in mind for today but it's the one that came to me while I was praying with my wife before leaving for work this morning at 4:30 a.m. I had not appreciated the full impact of God at work in a particular situation but when it hit me, all I could do was thank Him for allowing me to be a part of His work.

Yesterday was a pretty rough day here in our area. We had a variety of severe weather threats, wind gusting to 35 miles per hour, and even tornado watches, off and on throughout the day. We have our inner city Bible club on Tuesday evenings. I typically leave from work at 5:30 p.m. and drive into the city where the Club meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. Because of the short week with our company observing the Good Friday holiday weekend, we have been under the gun to get all our projects completed and delivered on time. I conduct a production review meeting on Tuesday morning and yesterday we had a real doozy. Lots of shouting, finger pointing, and opportunities for anger management, but we left knowing exactly what had to be done before being off for the long weekend.
Those types of meetings are always draining and the weather was bad and because the weather was bad we had been having trouble with some of our painting contractors who do the finish work on the products we build. Plus we have some issues on a couple of major projects that we are going forth and back on with our customers. It was one of those kind of days. Tension and tornadoes. Well, not quite. At any rate, I was rather wasted by the middle of the afternoon and it looked like the weather threats were intensifying. I called up the African American Pastor who does the Bible club to see if they were going to have the meeting. Yes, the meeting is still on. I was hoping maybe since it is spring break week and we are under a tornado watch that maybe we would have a skip night but they were excited about seeing who would show up.

My wife thought it might be best for me to bow out. The fellow I work for agreed due to the drive into the city. I was very much leaning in that direction but something inside caused me to decide to go. My wife says it is stubbornness but I would like to think it was at least in some small way, a God thing. I drove through some pretty messy spots of blowing rain and when I got to the location the wind was howling. We had ten children show up and we had nine coaches. I immediately thought they really didn't even need me tonight. We had our game time, song time, our special club song and cheer, (that's my duty), a Bible lesson, and then came the invitation time. We always give all the children an opportunity to be counseled with if they desire someone to talk to them or pray with them.

Two children, a girl and a boy, indicated they wanted to talk to someone. The Pastor's wife took them into a Sunday School room. The rest of the kids all gathered up at the front to sing some songs while the others were being counseled. One little guy named Craig said something to one of the coaches about needing to talk to someone. The coach looked at me and I called Craig over and we went into a room to talk. I had talked with Craig before along with a couple of other boys but it's always difficult to do the kind of one on one that is needed. This night Craig was very ready to call on Jesus that he might be saved. I shared some verses with him and I could see the sincerity of his heart and attitude. I then prayed with him and he prayed. What a blessing to have been able to be there and be a part of God's purpose in reaching little Craig on that stormy Tuesday night!

The interesting thing about this situation is how I had not even thought about it in terms of me showing up and how God used a night with so few children, with very few distractions, to speak to the heart of a nine year old named Craig. I am so glad I went to that meeting but it is not because I am someone special. I am glad I went because God had something special in mind and I happened to be there and He allowed me to be a part of His working. Sadly, I had not even thought about it in these terms until I was thanking God for Craig's profession as I prayed with my wife this morning. I'm not going to play any of the 'what if' games concerning me being there or not being there because God doesn't require me to accomplish His purposes. However, I couldn't feel more privileged or more blessed than to be able to be available as a tool in His hands in reaching this child. Yes, this is the week when many people will pause and at least acknowledge a historical Jesus, but folks, the reason He came, the reason He died, and the reason He resurrected, was clearly seen last night in the response of a little child named Craig. Do we serve a Great God or what? Amen. ......More later.

No comments: