Wednesday, February 13, 2008

What Ever Happened To Jack?

Did you ever wonder what ever happened to some of the folks that were a part of your life at one point and time? Recently I was wondering what ever happened to a fellow named Jack who was my first direct supervisor in the big company where I worked for so many years. Jack was a very interesting fellow who was always late for everything but running like crazy when he did get to work, or to a meeting, or other scheduled event. The year was 1969 and we were much younger back in those days. Jack was the type of guy who really saw very few limitations in anything he set his mind to.

He was always in trouble for being late especially since he was a supervisor but he was also a very likeable, friendly, and down-to-earth guy. We all had young families back then and we helped each other as we tried to make our way forward. I remember myself and another co-worker helped Jack install his chain link fence at his new house. Talk about a job! He had rented a power driven posthole digger and that dude was some more hard to handle. We spent all day on that project and we had the aches, pains, and bruises to prove it.

We also co-signed each other’s notes at the credit union so we could buy things like a car or other needed items. Jack was always looking for a better opportunity and while he had no background whatsoever in computer programming he landed a job in that group expecting that he could pick it up fast enough. He did okay and within a few years was a project manager. He then moved to a job with an international construction company and after a few years was transferred overseas to help manage the computing needs for the Chunnel Project which was the mammoth underwater tunnel constructed to connect France and Great Britain.

You might not know about that project but it turned out to go on and on, for at least ten years, and was 1 billion dollars over budget at one time. I’ll never forget one day opening up my Information Week magazine and there was a big picture of Jack and an interview where he talked about all of his activities in trying to manage the networking and computing stuff while keeping the French and Brits from banging each other on the head. It was good to see that he had done so well and I was very proud of Jack.

In the late 1980's, he returned to the states and came to visit me at the big company. I had stayed at the same company all those years and was now responsible for all telecom and computing. He was in the wind down phase of finishing that big project and essentially was looking for a job. That was pretty shocking! I remember him having to help me with the very basics when I came on board, now he was sitting there across from my desk, pleading for a job. We had lunch and I told him I would see if we could do something. He left, returned to his home base in England, and that’s the last I had heard of him.

Wonder what ever happened to Jack? Well, thanks to Google and some focused investigative work, I located Jack. He still lives in England in a community near London. I found an article where he was interviewed for a technology newsletter regarding how he found consulting projects. In that interview he stated he had received a very good settlement when he left the Chunnel project and had purchased a butcher’s shop. You must be kidding, a butcher’s shop? I knew the general area mentioned in the interview; therefore, I began searching for butchers in that vicinity.

Guess what? After much wailing and gnashing of teeth, I found him! Here’s what his shop says about what they do: We are a traditional family butcher with an American flair. We specialize in importing American and Canadian Beef and the preparation of regional dishes from New Orleans, Mexico and Texas, as well as providing a unique style of barbequing which is ideal for all types of corporate and private catering. The website goes on to say that the fifty year old shop was purchased by an American from Houston in 1997. That’s my Jack. He was always trying to come up with a new money making scheme.

I remembered that Jack always fancied himself to be a real good barbecue guy and he did do quite a bit of backyard cookouts. The shop he now owns appears to be doing a pretty big business. One picture shows nine employees and they have obviously hit on something of a novelty since they feature Hickory and Mesquite smoked meats. Here’s a another tidbit from their website: We cater for all types of private and corporate events from 25-40 people up to several hundred. In July 2000, we were selected to provide BBQ for the US Ambassadors 4th of July Celebrations, serving over 4000 people. Why not let us quote you for your next event.

I’ve left an email for Jack to get in touch with me but haven’t heard from him yet. Who would have ever thought? It’s a small world after all but in Jack’s case it’s always been a huge world and one he wanted to pursue and conquer. I’ll let you know if I hear from him but for now, “Jack, you’ve done well buddy, and I’m still proud of you.” ….More later.

No comments: