Thursday, February 28, 2008

What A Day!

What a great day to be thanking God for His answer to our prayers! My mom came through the heart procedure with flying colors and the previous blockage had improved so significantly, they didn't do anything at all which spared her a difficult second step, and gave her the peace of mind that her heart is doing better. We prayed for this to be the outcome consistent with God's will and we then thanked Him for answered prayer. I've heard people say that we believers are pretty gullible because regardless of the outcome, we still thank God. I am elated to be able to plead guilty to this charge. He alone is worthy and He deserves our praise, our thanks, and our worship regardless of what's going on in and around our lives. The Old Testament character Job summed it up this way: "Though he may slay me, I will still praise and worship Him".
Travelling over for my mom's procedure to Lake Charles, Louisiana in the very early hours of Wednesday morning was an interesting adventure. I left the suburb of the huge metroplex at 2 a.m., and had to drive across the city to intersect the highway I travelled. Imagine this. You are driving in and around a city that's recognized for it's traffic snarls and gripping gridlock, but at 2 a.m. you can set the cruise control on 65 miles per hour! Unbelievable!

During my three hour ride I was able to hear some wonderful preaching, some great gospel music, and here and there some news, weather, and classical orchestral tunes from a station in Beaumont. The highway was mostly the 18 wheelers and me. It had been a number of years since I had been on that particular highway and I remember when I first came to this area in 1969 I was stunned by the amount of construction on that roadway. Guess what? They are still doing about the same amount nearly forty years later. I suppose the more things change, it is the more they stay the same.

It was great to arrive at the hospital at about the same time my parents did. They didn't know I was coming and it was one of those special moments that I will always treasure. My mom had wonderful treatment and the hospital staff in the day surgery unit could not have been more professional and cooperative. We had anticipated she would at a minimum required some work to open up the artery which had previously indicated a blockage but she didn't, and her doctor was both impressed and surprised. Once she was back in her room we had another prayer and I said my farewells and headed back to catch up with my day job.

On the way through the metroplex I was able to stop by and have lunch with our youngest son who was celebrating his birthday, our eldest son, and our eldest granddaughter, (they all work for the same company). We had a great time and then I rejoined the freeway wars and finally was at my desk at 2 p.m. What a day! What blessings! And, what a mighty God we serve! As I so often say in this blog we have no idea what this day will bring and even less about tomorrow but we are privileged to know and be able to communicate with the One who holds it all in His hands. Needless to say, I didn't have to be rocked to sleep last night but even the good rest I needed and received is something I can be thankful for. Thanks for your prayers for my mom and may God give you and yours a wonderful day! ......More later.

No comments: