Thursday, February 7, 2008

His Way or My Way

William Shakespeare wrote this from Richard II, "The tongues of dying men enforce attention like deep harmony." We are interested in what people have to say as their final words before they leave this life for the next. Our second president, John Adams lived into his nineties and actually lived to see his son, John Quincy become our 6th president. He and Thomas Jefferson, who followed him and became our 3rd president, kept up a lengthy 25 year correspondence regarding issues, arguments, and the future of the republic. President Adams dedicated himself to be alive at the 50th anniversary of the Declaration of Independence, and this he did, dying in the evening on July 4th, 1826. On that special morning he awoke and was asked by his attendant if he knew what day it was. Adams responded, "Oh yes, it is the glorious fourth of July. God bless it. God bless you all." He then lapsed into unconsciousness but later that afternoon he aroused and mumbled these final words, "Thomas Jefferson still survives......" Little did he know that Jefferson had died earlier that morning of the same day!

Phineas Taylor Barnum (P.T.) was famous because of his building of the circus business which ended up being called the "Greatest Show On Earth". He toured the world and entertained millions for nearly fifty years. His final words before his death in 1891, "How were the circus receipts in Madison Square Gardens?" I would suppose he well represents a man whose heart was in his passion in life that being the circus. George Washingon who rightfully can be called our founding father, lay dying for many hours as doctors attempted to help him. While there are many legends about his actions and words, the following is the best that can be documented from eyewitness accounts. "Doctor, I die hard, but I am not afraid to go. My breath cannot last long." A short time later, he expressed concern that he not be buried alive, "I am just going. Have me decently buried, and do not let my body be put into the vault in less than three days after I am dead. Do you understand?" "Yes, sir," the doctor replied. "'Tis well," answered Washington.

I think we all desire a good finish to our life. I know it would be great if I had an opportunity to go back and redo some of the things I didn't do well. I would love to change some of my past decisions and the impact they had on others. That's not possible but what is possible is to take the time we have left and finish well. I am reminded of that song "I Did It My Way". I've heard Sinatra sing it, Elvis, and many others but the testimony of that song is not how I want to be able to look back and recount the living out of my life. The most inspiring last words I can think of outside of those spoken by Jesus from the cross, came from the Apostle Paul as he was soon to face the executioner's sword. "For I am already being poured out as a drink offering, and the time of my departure is at hand. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Finally, there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give to me on that Day, and not to me only but also to all who have loved His appearing." (2 Timothy 4:6-8)

No doubt the Apostle looked forward to hearing His Lord and Savior greet him with the words, "Well done, good and faithful servant, enter now into your rest." I always tell people that if hearing Jesus say these words is our goal then we have to be doing those things that cause Him to say them before we come face to face with Him. I can't go back and change many of the failures from my past but again quoting the Apostle Paul, "but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead..." In the end, my desire is to have done my best to do my life His way and not mine. Hopefully I will have something really profound as my last words but we'll just have to wait and see! Have a great Thursday and may God bless. .......More later.

No comments: